Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RCA to XLR??

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by caleb, Apr 29, 2005.

1. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have just run in my Bryston 7B SST monoblocks now for about 250 hours so they should be settled.

I was driving these from my TAG McLaren AV32 using RCA to RCA interconnects, but decied to experiment with RCA to XLR balanced to see if the sound would be any better.

After replacing the cables I just get a major hum from the speakers now so it's back to RCA to RCA.

Anyone know why this should be? :confused:

2. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If the cables are DIY suspect a short between the cold pin and ground.

Otherwise, check the amps manual for something to do before using the xlr inputs.

Luis

3. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I run my 250R's from my AV32R using TMAs F3-ANA leads, but terminated RCA to XLR. Must admit, I've never had an ounce of humm, but the 250R has a shorting pin that had to be removed first. I'm no expert (understatement!) but just check your manual in case there is a physical switch or setting you need to change.

Hope you get it sorted mate. Regards - Spencer

4. laalves

laalves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Exactly my case, but with DIY leads, Belden pro cable with Neutrik RCA to Neutrik XLR. No hum at all.

Luis

5. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Caleb, try to remove all your interconnects and leave power lead and speaker wires. Then switch the amp on. If you have hum from the speakers this will mean your amp needs to be grounded because of some reason or problem.
    When you use RCA-RCA leads amp will be grounded over negative signal path.
    If you use RCA-XLR wired TAG way then there is no connection to the outter case (body of XLR connector is not wired to the ground, only the pin 1), so amp might be missing the ground.

Whatever, you will still have warranty on 7SST (20 years thing) so do not worry.

Of course it might also be some silly thing like bad leads or switch on the back still set to RCA or...

6. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I took the leads back to the shop.

They stripped the XLR connector and found a wrong connection, but on BOTH LEADS!!! :mad:

Maybe this is a reflection of the new IAG quality control??

Highly embarrassed, they gave me a new set and these work fine.

I have to say in all honesty that the difference in sound between the RCA to RCA and RCA tpo XLR is not audible to me.

I am going to run them for a while to burn in then do an A/B test but if there is no difference then they are going back.

Thanks Everyone for your input.

7. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Caleb, there should also be no audible difference between both cable versions, apart from theoretical case with very long leads where some interference could occur.

I am running 5m leads foom TAG gear in the corner to the amps and speakers in the front and there is no audible difference at all. I chose RCA-XLR only because this way amp gains are much closer to each other.

8. singletrailer

singletrailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Miron,

what do you mean by this comment? Might be only my English but I don't get it

Thanks

9. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Singletrailer,
    I run two amps (one stereo and one three channel amp) in my setup and they have pretty different gains over RCA, but almost same over XLR (This is something where TAG engineering was advanced - they had same gains over XLR and RCA - but I use no TAG amps). Of course you can use pre/pro to trimm your gains but I simply do not like the fact that one amp runs with +9dB and another with -2dB. Not that I would run out of headroom on higher levels, but it is simply too big difference for my taste (you can call it prejudice too).

Auf Deutsch vereinfacht,
    ich benutze 2 Verstärker (ein Stereo und ein 3-Kanal Verstärker), die über RCA ziemlich unterschiedliche Verstärkungsfaktoren haben, die aber über XLR fast identisch sind. Daher, und nur deswegen, benutze ich RCA-XLR Kabeln.

10. singletrailer

singletrailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Got it - thanks

11. cbemoore

cbemoore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Caleb,

See Thunder's comments here - looks like TMA deliberately wire XLR plugs differently to everyone else!

Chris

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    This only matters if the XLR connector is on a TMA piece of equipment. As you are using the single ended outputs on your processor (TMA's single ended outputs/inputs are compatible with everybody elses) to another manufacturers power amps, you shouldn't have any problems :thumbsup: