1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rca to bnc advice please

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mark h, Jul 11, 2005.

1. mark h

mark h
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am setting up a new system which includes a 42" panasonic plasma display. After installing the terminal board i have found out that my rca component lead needs to have bnc connections for the plasma. I have found some adaptors on the internet for a couple of quid each, but I do not want to compromise the quality of my new plasma and £60+ component lead by using a £2 adaptor.

What should I do? Try the adaptors, buy another lead or snip off the rca connectors and buy some decent bnc plugs which I am sure are out there somewhere? If the last option is this simple to do?

Many Thanks :thumbsup:

Panasonic TH42 PWD7B,Panasonic DMR-E55,Denon 2803,KEF Eggs,REL Quake,Sky Digi Box

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    It would (at least in theory) be better to have a component lead with the BNC plugs on. In my experience though I found the converters to work well. For only a couple of quid you may as well try them and see what you think.
    I would not recommend a DIY replacement of the plugs as the quality of the joint between cable and plug is critical for a good picture.

Mark.

3. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    Mark H

If its all NEW wont your dealer swap the YUV Cable or the terminal Board so you don't require to use adapters?

Best regards

Joe

4. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In my experience (and I use such adapters on a daily basis in the broadcast world), You will be fine with phono-BNC adapters.

I will second what Mark said regarding replacing the phonos for BNCs because you will need the correct plug for the cable, and the correct tool to crimp the plug! If you bodge the plug, you will alter the impedance of the whole cable. This will then start to affect signal integrity.

Regards,

Gareth