Rca sub cable to speaker cable connect

cretan

Standard Member
I everybody, this is my first post and I seriously need your help. I 'm finishing my new home theater room and I have already installed speaker cables through walls not to mess with cables running all over the place. I'm going to buy the cht-10q sub powered by the pioneer vsx-1021 av amplifier. My problem is that the amplifier has only an RCA /LFE sub out and I have installed classic 2 speaker wires to connect to sub. I saw in sub manual that the velodyne can be driven by RCA or L - R speaker cables. How can I connect my sub to the amplifier and still get optimal performance? Thank you in advance

DodgeTheViper

You're going to need the RCA cable I'm afraid, to benefit from the .1 sound filtered by the receiver. You can still connect the sub with speaker cables from the receiver, then connect from the sub to the speakers, using the crossover in the sub.

cretan

Standard Member
DodgeTheViper said:
You're going to need the RCA cable I'm afraid, to benefit from the .1 sound filtered by the receiver. You can still connect the sub with speaker cables from the receiver, then connect from the sub to the speakers, using the crossover in the sub.
Thank you, but my problem is how to "convert" the RCA cable out from amplifier to wall plate connected with classic black red speaker wire

DodgeTheViper

Ah right ok. Do you want to convert it back again at the sub end ?

cretan

Standard Member
DodgeTheViper said:
Ah right ok. Do you want to convert it back again at the sub end ?
No need, from wall plate to sub I can use common speaker cables. My problem is with the other end (amplifier to wall)

DodgeTheViper

A quick Google search will give some info.

Search for RCA to speaker cable conversion

cretan

Standard Member
I guess I have to cut an RCA cable, split the wires correctly connect them (positive-negative) to the wall plate. Am I right? Should this work? And I can do the other way around to connect to the sub also?

12harry

I think there is a level-issue here.
Some Subs take a low-level input L+R and extract only the low frequencies, where there is no stereo image. These inputs need to be screened, since house wiring will radiate strong LF. The RCA cable should be screened and would suit this purpose.

However, some subs take speaker inputs, that is L+R but taken from the existing speakers, which is more convenient for installing. These inputs are at a highher level and low impedance, so in theory you should get away with plain wirinig. (maybe check the Sub instructions?). I don't much like the idea of stripping a screened cable to attach it to existing speakers, but I READ yr post that the L+R signals are not at speaker-level. The issue of using RCA connectors on a LS is they are not s/c proof - this doesn't matter on a high-impedance signal, where they are used.

+If your wiring goes through a wall, then you need to comply with fire regulations, so an appropriate cable gland must match the cable used. Also I'd suggest you keep audio well away from power leads.
+This applies also to TV signals where an aerial is on the roof (or loft) since lightning can be directed into the living room, so the greater the separation the better . . . ideally they should be kept completely separate, IMHO.

cretan

Standard Member
So this is the sub's rear connection

image-2161292611.jpg

image-2545940155.jpg

So the best option is to connect the LFE of the amplifier to the LFE in of sub. BUT as I said I can't replace the speaker cables with RCA. Listening to music I believe I can connect the speakers out av to the speakers in sub. But as for movies, I'm afraid there is more information in the .1 (LFE) channel witch could not pass from the plain speakers channel

diablo

I guess I have to cut an RCA cable, split the wires correctly connect them (positive-negative) to the wall plate. Am I right? Should this work? And I can do the other way around to connect to the sub also?
Looks like that is the best way to go really, short of hacking away at the wall again. As long as there are no mains wires running in the same space it should work fine. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom