Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RCA - Speaker out connection

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by bob_bob, May 27, 2005.

1. bob_bob

bob_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear All,

My Sony AV receiver naturally assumes that I will channel all my audio through it's various speaker outs.

As a result it only provides a video component out to link to my TV and no audio out.

This seems a bit of a waste of the speakers in my TV and I would like to use them.

I would like to link my centre speaker outs from the receiver to the RCA audio in on my TV.

What I want to know is, if I strip the receiver end of my RCA cable can I isolate two separated wires which I could attach to the speaker out terminals?

Perhaps more importantly, if I do this will I knacker any of my components?

Thanks all,

Bob

2. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Methinks a few component names and model numbers might be of assistance here.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Does your receiver have any pre-outs?

If you have a dedicated center speaker you may want to stick with that, most TV speakers sound awful.

Do NOT do this - the speaker out from your receiver is amplified (high-level), the RCA input is low-level, and damage will most likely occur if you make a connection as described.

As explained, most likely yes. However if you have a preout for the center channel you can connect that to the RCA input at the TV. If there is a stereo input at the TV use a splitter / Y-cable.

If you need further advise please state the make and model of TV and receiver.