RCA center channel hookup on a str av1020

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mark4090, May 21, 2002.

1. mark4090

mark4090

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a 42" plasma monitor and would like to make use of my exsisting stereo receiver, etc until I can afford to update everything (monitor broke the bank). I'd like to create somewhat of home theater but am not sure how limited I am by the receiver. See diagram STR AV1020

The front and surround connections seem rather obvious to me. However, the center connections are the RCA type where it says "Monitor TV or an amplified for center speakers" Is this where the center speakers really go? A need for an amplifier? Also if possible, I'd like to connect a powered sub-woofer. I've read somewhere it can be done without having a subwoofer input on the receiver. Hopefully, the diagram in the link will make sense to someone else. The manual for the sub says join it with the front or rear speakers. I did this and it seems to work.

Any help would be appreciated! Mark

2. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    looks as though its time for an amp. upgrade to do your setup justice. your present amp only has pre-outs for a centr chanel and the sigmal needs to beamplified. a tv will do this if you connect the pre-outs to the audio ins on the front or side of a tv. as you probably know the phonos on the back of tvs are audio outs. your plasma may have amplification for speakers which can be used, byt won't be very powerful

3. mark4090

mark4090

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of that, although you're correct as the plasma monitor does have amplification capabilities, 7wx7w @ 6-8 ohm. Not very powerful but do the centers need that much power to be heard?

Mark

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with the centre pre-outs from your amp into the sets inputs, the plasmas two speakers would work as one centre, just balance the plasmas volume to your amps other chanels. 2x7 watts would be reasonable but you will be missing a lot with a screen like yours.