RCA cable connection question?

DellRay

Novice Member
Greetings, I want to connect 2 receivers together for a remote set-up in another room. I have the basics as far as connections and setting up the receivers once they are connected but I couldn't find info on this. Can I use a Y cable at each receiver and run a single RCA cable for the distance as it is going to be about a 75' run. I'm not trying to do anything crazy with the remote receiver, just a 2.1 or 3.1 for stereo plus a subwoofer in the other area. Thanks for any input on this.

Solution
OK, it sounds like you are further down the path than I thought you were.

I would still suggest you run a pair balanced cables as the link between the AVRs. If it has line out, that's perfect. Is it a Record output? If so, it will be fixed line level, but it it's a pre-out, you will need to mute the speakers in the other room in order to turn the amp up loud enough to send a strong signal through the Pre-amp outputs. Zone 2 will be separately controlled and will give the best option in terms of control and routing sources.

You could run balanced cables and just fit RCA connectors to start off with and see if it works OK. If so, happy days, nothing more to do, but if not, you can use the suggestion below:

You don't need to spend a...

Kapkirk

Maybe the reason you can't find any info on it is because no one has ever tried to connect up 2 receivers with a 75 ft single rca and Y connectors. Do you realize that this will make it mono and the losses in the audio signal you'll get over that distance will be terrible.
Maybe if you try to explain in more detail what you are trying to actually achieve and with what you may find more suitable answers.

Upvote 0

DellRay

Novice Member
That's why I was asking. Just trying to save a little cash is all. I just want what I'm playing on my main AVR to be heard in another room. I listen to music a lot more than I watch TV and I can't hear it very good in my work area. I have another receiver and speakers in there but unless I'm listening to AM/FM radio stations, which I tend to avoid, I can't listen to my source of choice in both areas. I listen to Spotify on whatever device I'm using at the time, I have a few CDs and some vinyl records. As it is now, if I turn the main receiver up loud enough so it sounds good in the other room, The neighbors would probably have me visited by the authorities.

Upvote 0

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
RCA unbalanced cables should not be used over more than a few metres. 75' is really pushing it and as well as induced noise, you may also get a ground loop and the associated hum.

You might do better with either running speaker cables from your existing AVR to 2nd location and then using a remote extender so that you can control the amplifier remotely, or using some balancing and isolating baluns to create a balanced signal path for the majority of the run.

I assume you are using a zone output from the 1st amplifier? You may find you need to set the volume for this quite high to get a good signal at the other end, as the 2nd AVR will be expecting a line level signal, not an attenuated one.

You would be better not to split all the input signals, as this can induce more noise. Phono signals from a record deck will be too low level in any case and will sound terrible over that sort of distance.

Upvote 0

DellRay

Novice Member
OK, I am not sure what you are saying about running speaker wires and a remote extender? The speaker wires would go from my main AVR to? The speakers in the other room? And then what would the remote extender do? I'm not even sure what that is, I will look into it. I was looking at a secondary amplifier with a 2.1 set up but my main AVR only axxepts bluetooth, it doesn't transmit eg; to the remote amp and I can't find a remote amp within a reasonable price range for my current A/V budget that has network capability as I figured 2 receivers would suffice so I spent all the money I could for this on more and better speakers. Also my second receiver does not have network capability which would make this quite easy. Also, I have all the speaker outputs on the main receiver in use for the speakers in the main room. I can drop my impedance on the receiver and run parallel but would rather avoid doing so.
I didn't even consider the zone 2 option as I was just going to use a set of the regular line out RCAs from the main AVR to the remote using the CD line in as I won't be using another disk player on that unit. I did purchase a second turntable for that room though so that's not an issue. If I'm playing records while in there, I want to be able to change them right there without walking back to the living room. and I can just switch the input over on the remote receiver.
Balancing and isolating baluns just sounds expensive and that's probably another learning experience. That's not a bad thing but I'm already involved in a bunch of learning experiences as I am also upgrading the sound system in my car, which is a totally different animal than what I am used to. I'm also doing computer upgrades and trying to work and maintain my sanity all at once. I know, it's a lot but it's keeping me occupied so that I am not grinding about the current state of affairs with the madness out there. I will refrain from comment on any of that except to say that if I spend any time paying attention to it, I probably won't be a free man much longer, and that's if they could take me alive.

Upvote 0

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
OK, it sounds like you are further down the path than I thought you were.

I would still suggest you run a pair balanced cables as the link between the AVRs. If it has line out, that's perfect. Is it a Record output? If so, it will be fixed line level, but it it's a pre-out, you will need to mute the speakers in the other room in order to turn the amp up loud enough to send a strong signal through the Pre-amp outputs. Zone 2 will be separately controlled and will give the best option in terms of control and routing sources.

You could run balanced cables and just fit RCA connectors to start off with and see if it works OK. If so, happy days, nothing more to do, but if not, you can use the suggestion below:

You don't need to spend a fortune on the balancing equipment. 2 of these - 1 of each end will do the job.

Amazon product
You would need to either adapt the cable or solder your own connectors, but this is easy enough to do.

Upvote 1
Solution

DellRay

Novice Member
The line out on the main AVR is just a Line Out, it doesn't have a tape loop. Most modern AVRs don't because not many people still use cassettes. That I have no issue with but they also stopped putting phono inputs in them for us vinyl lovers so we either have to get a record player with a built in switchable pre-amp or buy a separate one and find an input that we aren't using. I can rename and re-assign mine but I can't change what it says on the buttons on the AVR or the remote for it, it will say "phono" on the display and on the OSD but no proper input selector on the equipment. No biggie but still an issue as many people that want record players these days don't know this stuff and then they immediately go and leave negative reviews for perfectly good equipment because they don't have a clue about how to hook it up.
I like your idea and I already have some long cables with 1/4" audio jacks for my Bass(s) and guitars and I have adapters that go from 1/4" jacks to RCA as well as some midi cables and adapters. I hook my little drum machine up to the stereo sometimes as a "metronome" of sorts when working on keeping time. I'm sure I can make something work now. There's a local music shop about 2 blocks away too if I need anything else. You are right about those DIBs too, I can scrape up enough for a couple of those. That guy down the street might even have something like that right in his store.
I like it, I didn't put 2 and 2 together there so thanks for that. I have all kinds of options now.
The 2nd zone on my AVR is just a single set of RCA outputs and a subwoofer output.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kapkirk

The way I see it is you have 2 viable sensible options, 1. Add a bluetooth receiver adapter to the second room and play your music from spotify from your phone/tablet etc. 2. Create two independent systems, the one you already have in your main room and one in the remote room (maybe with a cheaper CD and Turntable)
You could (theoretically) run a stereo coax from the pre-out of the first receiver to the input of the second receiver but as I said, doing this over a 75 foot run will cause massive signal loss and do odd things with capacitance and possibly add loads of hum, plus its going to be a real pain running next door to change source etc.
If it were me I would just add bluetooth with something like the (iFi Audio ZEN Blue) to the second room amp and just use spotify.

Upvote 0

DellRay

Novice Member

I'm liking the looks of this... It's a cost but not bad for what it is and I believe it will solve my issue... Any input is welcome.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom