Quantcast

Question RC6 or Windows MCE remote supplier?

AMc

Distinguished Member
I'm still using an old Windows 7 MCE to record and playback TV - I'll keep using it until it doesn't work :)

I've been using a Sony RM-MCE20E remote with a Microsoft IR receiver after the original remote buttons started to die.
Now my Sony remote is refusing to 30 skip - I suspect the buttons are just worn out.
I've picked up a "new (other)" one to tide me over but I'm a bit sceptical about how "new" it might be despite the 100% feedback.

I can see various RC6 or MCE remotes on Fleabay but I'm loathed to wait 4 weeks to one to arrive from China if it doesn't actually work.

Anyone recently bought a WMC remote online can recommend a supplier?

maddy

I can't help on the supplier front for RC6 remotes - I'd assume these haven't been made in years - but I've found that they are easy to open and clean if the contact that the buttons have to make get a bit iffy.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Cheers - I remember years ago dismantling the "Peanut" remotes from series 1 Tivo to clean them up and get a few months more out of them.
I have already replaced a silver 'peanut clone' MCE remote with the white Sony one.

I'll wait until the "new (other)" one arrives before I take the existing ones I have apart to see if they're salvageable.

AMc

Distinguished Member
I can't help on the supplier front for RC6 remotes - I'd assume these haven't been made in years - but I've found that they are easy to open and clean if the contact that the buttons have to make get a bit iffy.
New (Other) remote arrived and seems to be as described - made the current Sony one look a bit grubby :eek:
Having a new remote meant I could risk the existing one - four small screws and some not very gentle persuasion with a guitar pick and it came apart. The whole remote is one circuit board with a rubber key overlay. A bit of work with contact cleaner on the PCB side with a cotton bud and it's back to working reliably so all good :thumbsup:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Use the IR codes and find a programmable remote?

AMc

Distinguished Member
I’m covered for now but thanks for posting.

I used to use a Philips Pronto for a long time but I never got any other family members interested in using it for anything but the macros to turn everything on and off.
I never enjoyed using the one4all etc where you had to remember what the buttons did

Top Bottom