1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RC5000i

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by woodmeister, Dec 27, 2004.

1. woodmeister

woodmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an RC5000i which comes with a serial cable. My laptop doesn't have a serial port :suicide: so I purchased a serial to USB converter. But can I get the thing to work? Can I heck. :thumbsdow

Windows can't recognise the device and I can't find a USB driver.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I have a RC5200, and had similar problems. I also needed a serial/usb adaptor, and Windows 2000 on my laptop just couldn't see the damn thing. I ended up going into the to the SYSTEM option in the control panel, tabbed along to Hardware, and Device Manager. In there I found the USB port when it was connected, but had to change the Advanced Port settings to COM1 to get the Touch Screen Setup software talking to the remote. Even then, sometimes when I try to use it, I often have to reboot a couple of times to get it working. Give it a try, see if you can get it talking, assuming you are on Windows 2000.

Cheers

Andy

3. woodmeister

woodmeister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy I'll give it a gander. Sad thing is I'm using Windows XP and it still doesn't work either. :confused: The COM port idea seems the way forward.

4. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seem to recall having this problem a couple of years ago and a discussion on Remote Central resulted, I believe the best results were with Keyspan products.

I tried the Belkin solution which didn't work.

Luckily my laptop still has an RS232 which is obviously the best solution.