RC5000i Woes

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by Family Guy, May 22, 2001.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Arthur.
    I have just recievd an e-mail from Marantz entitled "2md.exe" This is supposed to fix a bug in the 5000i battery meter. I'll let you know it goes.

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A year ago I purchased a Marantz RC5000 from a place in Margate that has since closed down.
    6 months down the line the remote packed up. It just died as I was using it. With the help of Sevenoaks in Sevenoaks I managed to replace it. It took 3 months for them to do so. However, hidden deep inside the box was an invoice that stated that theis paticular unit was second quality. I wasn't very happy about it but Marantz stated that it was still covered by the original 2 year gurantee.
    5 days later it packed up. It was returned to Marantz via Sevenoaks again. It took another 3 months for them to return the remote to me again. However this time they sent me the "i" version, which I was expected to pay the extra for. I did this, just happy to have my remote back.
    However, just 12 days down the line, we have another problem. This time the battery will not charge fully.
    When the remote was unpacked and activated the battery low warning icon was on, so I put the unit on to charge straight away.
    3 hours later the green light had gone out on the charger so I programmed the remote.
    Within an hour, the battery indicator had gone down to half. I left it at that and it lasted about another 4 days before the warning icon reappeared. When I charged it this time, the indicator would only read 3/4 full and now never goes any higher.
    I rang Marantz and they gave me the usual answer. "Make sure that the firmware is updated and that the terminals are clean".
    My firmware is NEWER than the update available on RC5000 set up v2.2, and the terminals are gleaming.
    Marantz now say that thay want the whole unit back, even though it is only 12 days old, to test it.
    When I paid the extra £40 for the "i" version, I was told that the gurantee would be valid from that date.
    Can anyone give me any tips on fully charging the battery please.
    I don't want to lose my remote for another 3 months.
    Also, on the legal side, do Marantz not have an obligation to replace or refund if anything goes wrong within 28 days?

3. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is actually a common problem with the Pronto/Marantz charger. It looks nice, but it doesn't work too well. Go to www.remotecentral.com & do a search on the Pronto forum there to find the answer. (several opinions!)
    Yes, I believe that if an item is faulty, & returned within 30 days, they must give you a full refund.

[ 22-05-2001: Message edited by: Arthur.S ]