1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RBE Re Assurance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nobber, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just decided to move from my Sony 11HT to a H79 when I can get one, I borrowed a IBM M400 DLP micro projector from work and was shocked at the rainbow effect, I could see lots of them! Now before I buy the H79 I will obviously demo it but I just wondered whether anyone who had experience rainbows on a cheaper DLP did they still see them on lets say a THemescene H78 or similar?

thanks
    Nobber

2. richanohx

richanohx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi i've just bought a h78 and i do sometimes see the odd rbe but no one else in my house does but its only on fast moving scenes say a lamp on a wall in a dark scene. but i'm getting used to it now and would not go back to lcd at all.

3. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I checked out the battle of Carthage in Gladiator and they were every where!

4. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Nobber looks like you may have to stick with LCD. Your best bet would be to demo an H79 then compare it (if you can wait a couple of fmonths) with some of the new LCD PJs coming out. I don't think they will surpass the image quality of the H79 but I reckon they will get very close for 1/2 the price with no rainbows.

No two sets of eyes are going to be the same. Just because someone else doesn't see the RBE on the H78/9 say from a 2 speed colour wheel PJ, doesn't mean you'll have the same luck too.

5. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Nobber

I see quite a few rainbows on 2X colour wheels, but hardlly any on 4Xs and above. Having said that I wasn't that bothered by the rainbows. I could live with them. It was the eyestrain that got me on both speeds.

I'd recommend you get a demo for at least an hour to check if you're prone to either.

Squibbly

6. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok thanks, I think I could put up with the odd rainbow but as I mentioned they were all over the place! I will demo the H79 before I make my purchase but prior to the dicision on the H79 I was considering the HS50 anything else worth looking at?

Thanks again

Nobber

7. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Benq PE7700 - less than £1500. Doesn't have the CR of the H79, but is half the price. That's the best value DLP around in my opinion, but you probably won't find a demo of it.

Also, you could wait for the new LCDs coming out of CEDIA. They probably won't match the image quality of the DLPs but they're getting close and again are much much cheaper.

I'm hoping against hope that Sony announce an SXRD at sub-£3k, as per the odd rumour, but I doubt that will happen. That would blow everything else out of the water image-wise and completely reshape the PJ landscape as we know it! Might happen if Sony want to dominate the PJ market, but it seems too big a cut on the technology's current pricing (though not on the RPTV versions).

Squibbly

8. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Squibbly maybe if we wish hard enough a sub 3K 1080P SXRD will be revealed next weekend. I'm sure a cut price SXRD will be revealed but I reckon it will probably be around the 5K-8K range at best. That's far too much money to waste for me.

I'll be happy with a 720P VPL-HS60 with a contrast of 10,000:1 and a few more Lumens than the old HS50. That should keep me going until the spinning wheels of DLP are consigned to history.

The RBE it really can be rather annoying. I find I suffer from RBE anxiety on some movies. When a dark scene comes along I find myself thinking ' Oh know please don't throw at rainbow at me '. Sometimes I get away with it, other times I don't. Candles, torches or Lightsabres moving across a dark screen are rainbow central for me.

It taught me the 'Golden Rule' the hard way. Don't just order a PJ off the net after reading the opinions/reviews of other people. Go and get an extensive demo for yourself. RBE, VB or other image nasties on a particular PJ may annoy the hell out of ya.

Zag

9. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Nobber, you should find that if you do suffer from rainbows on cheaper DLP's
    it should get better with H78's/H79's & 7205's/7210's.

I would demo for 3 hours. Take an extended LOTR in & watch the whole thing.
    You need to know if it is going to give you eyestrain.

10. Nobber

Nobber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks I will, are there any worthy LCD alternatives to the H79?

11. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Perhaps a Sony HS50 with an external scaler. I expect Sony's new model VPL-HS60 will get close to the PQ of the H79 but I doubt no currently available LCD PJ will get that close to the image quality of the H79.

The new LCD models from Panny, Sanyo, Epson and Hitachi will close the gap but it is still too early to say how big that gap will be until more reviews and feedback on the new models appear.

I love the image of DLPs but the rainbows I experience can spoil the experience. I'm expecting my next projector will be one of the new 720P LCD models unless DLP reveals an ace up it sleeve at CEDIA. Be it pricing, contrast or increases of colour wheel speed.