rb 985 thx power amp

malariaboy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
are these any good thinking of putting one with a new psurround processor, how do they match up to newer rotels ie 1075

thx for any feedback

forgot to say i have a pioneer 2011 at the moment hoping the change will give better musical ability

They're shouldn't be a great deal between the 985 MKII and the 1075. The 985 MKII is very good - plenty of power for home cinema but pretty decent for music too.

Matt.

You should hear a world of difference after adding a 985MkII to a 2011. I have had both (don't ask how or why I got rid of the 985) and they are nearly identical. The only difference I could make out is the 1075 has less capacitance, so possibly the 985 is a higher spec? Anyway there isn't any diff in sound quality, i.e. they both sound very good indeed.

Russell

Having had a 1075 and a 986MkII at the same time I would also say that there not much to choose between them.

The 985MKII isn't built as well internally, I had a problem with mine where the phono connector connections to the curciut board shorted which was very expensive to fix. Be very careful putting the phonos on/off.

That said the 985MKII is smaller, around the same same as a 991/993 and so fits into a rack more easily.

I'd go for it, I keep looking out for another myself to bi-amp my surrounds but they go for more money these days as people realise how damned good they are.

Some people claim that the caps in the 985MKII are actually superior to those in the 1075, but I'd say the 1075 had the edge when we A:B tested them. Though that could just be down to better imternal connections to the phonos.

I would go for it, so long as you're sure it's in 100% working condition on ALL channels.

Mark.

I think the caps in the 985MkII are a higher capacity, rather than better quality...

Russell

Hi,
I used to own a Rotel 985 power amp (and a couple of 981),
The 985 really is a terrific amp and can certainly give superb grin producing performance. :)
If I had to criticize it on anything I would have to say it's low bass was certainly it's weakest point, however this isn't a problem unless you run full range speakers.

Paul.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom