1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rb 1080 compared to less powerfull rotel powers???/

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by mick23, Sep 27, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all had chat to dealer today re 3802/nadcd /cdms.

my comment in 2 channel sterio something definately lacking with above.

my wishes i would prefer to keep 3802 for av and add integrated of some description stating that i had already tried cyrus7/arcam a85/ unico, not sure wether to sell cdms etc.

it was suggested i keep cdms but add a power amp,the cdms are not hard to drive but "love power" this i have seen quite often on the forums,

the rotel rb 1080 was suggested (2X2oo watts) i said i have tried rb 985 and 891 already with 3802 .

so has anyone experience/heard rb 1080 and how it compares to the lesser power rotels, or would this be a sideways move considering i have already tried 2 rotel powers, no one local stocks this particular amp ,i would only be considering 2nd hand due to cost, thank you

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    It's not so much a sideways move,as one that will give slightly greater headroom before your amps reached clipping point.
    The comments about CDM's and the Nautilus ranges "loving power" is not as correct as saying that they generally require amps with good control,and the ability to deliver current into low impedances at low frequencies,one of the many reasons for my using Krells with my 805's.
    That's not to say you need something like that to drive them,just an amp that doesn't suffer from current limiting...the Rotels are an ideal choice at that price level.

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks alex2

, have you any suggestions for an integrated that i might demo to suite the above, i have already tried 3 amps in the £700-£800 region.

i can see your point re control, rather than outright power.

i would have to go 2nd hand /ex dem route .

thank you

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Integrated amps as opposed to extra power amps?....well...the Arcam integrateds are quite good,as are the Musical Fidelity ones,but those would definitely fall into the 2nd hand category.

Well worth looking for is the little Bryston integrated....lovely little amp with plenty of drive.

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,737
    mick I have the Rotel RB1070 (2 x 130w) driving my left and right front M&Ks (MPS1610s) which are difficult to drive. Drives them fine...the 1075 powers the centre with no problems also.

With that in mind I'm sure the 1080 will cause no problems, although I'll add that I've no experience of the speakers you mention.