Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, will watch this in June once it's "free" as part of our Disney+ subscription :)

Twenty quid is a far way to buying it on disc so that is where my cash will go.
Looking forward to seeing it in June though

Yeah, I love animated films and I am all for early home streaming on titles as I am not able to get to the cinema as much as I would like, but £20 seems a bit much. It will be interesting to see how prices might change once cinemas are reopened and streaming could be a simulatneous release with the cinemas. £10-£15 maybe....for a title I really want to see....something like Dune, for example, but I can wait until June for this one, even though it does look fun.

I'm thinking about watching this tonight. £20 is a bit pricey but the cost of myself and the 3 kids to the cinema would be twice that. There's little to enjoy during lock down so I think the kids are worth that £20. Fire on, projector screen dropped down, homemade popcorn a bottle of pop.......

Oh yeah, when you compared cinema prices it isn't that bad for something you want to watch. If you have a nice system to watch it on as well. Having a PJ makes a big difference.... Wouldn't pay £20 to watch it on our TV.

Enjoy!

Oh yeah, when you compared cinema prices it isn't that bad for something you want to watch. If you have a nice system to watch it on as well. Having a PJ makes a big difference.... Wouldn't pay £20 to watch it on our TV.

Enjoy!

Tbh I'd still watch it on the TV. My 7 year old daughter saw a trailer and has been talking about it since. Small price to pay for a little joy amongst all the madness.

That said, I'd really appreciate the gesture from Disney+ if it was included in the sub like Soul was. Things like that would really encourage me to renew at a time when people are looking at multiple media subs (we have Tidal, Spotify, Netflix, Prime Video, Sky). I may drop two of these - Prime has lost a lot of appeal since Brexit as in Ireland we have lost a huge amount of content.

My kids are a bit older now, but a few years ago I'd probably have a different view and would be thinking about renting. If it outs a smile on her face then why the hell not.... As you say, £20 isn't that much for something that is going to make people happy!

I know what you mean, with sky, Spotify, prime, Netflix, arrow and crunchyroll, the subscriptions add up! 😊😊

Yeah, Soul was a nice bonus. I'm guessing they thought that wouldn't draw as many early viewers as Mulan or Raya and that was a way to draw more subscribers in at Christmas.

I should probably shut up now as I'm dragging this discussion off thread. Hope you all have a brilliant time with Raya!

I'm thinking about watching this tonight. £20 is a bit pricey but the cost of myself and the 3 kids to the cinema would be twice that. There's little to enjoy during lock down so I think the kids are worth that £20. Fire on, projector screen dropped down, homemade popcorn a bottle of pop.......

This is my thinking also. It is a lot to drop for sure, but we spend 3-4x that no problem on a trip to the cinema (six of us total) and then get stuck with some oik next to us or some bored parent sitting on their phone the whole time. £20 to watch it on our own projector as a rare lockdown treat seems ok.

We were going to pay for Mulan but ended up skipping it based on the reviews, so we still have the budget from that :)

If I wasn't a Disney subscriber then I can see the value of buying this on iTunes, but I cannot see this model being a huge success if people are prepared to wait. Then again, we are not dying to see this.

I wouldn't buy into this model for a film only I'd want to watch either, £20 is for sure a family-only deal, and for the right film maybe? But this ain't it.

As I have enjoyed the trailers for this and am in need of a bit of escapism for an hour or so, I am going to stump up for this. Whether or not we see more films come to streaming at the same time as the cinema is unknown, but families definitely win in the wallet if they continue to come to the streaming sites.

For me this is twice the price of a cinema ticket and so not the worst value in the world when you consider Disney are going to have to put up with the bootleggers they can't stop from spreading the film for free.

One thing does come to mind though. In 3 years time, I doubt we will have a problem going to the cinema, as the current circumstances start to wane in the memory and it is generally safer. I almost guarantee more people will wear masks in crowded places going forward anyway.

Lastly, which ever distribution method becomes the norm in the future, we still need to support the studios however we can, and which ever way we feel comfortable with. Video entertainment is still fun and long may it remain so.

I'd just like to see choice being offered. Cinema or home streaming.... I think those who go to the cinema regularly will still go and there is the potential for greater revenue in some ways. I often play catch up on streaming for the films I want to see, so being able to watch at home on the PJ at the same time as cinema release works for me - and I may still stump up for the physical media for the big hitters.

Watched it as a family last night... £20 for a cinema experience (new release etc) was well worth it - we got in the sweets, set up our vintage popcorn maker etc and felt like we were back to normality for a couple of hours. 7 seems about right for the film - was the first film in a while that when the credits rolled my kids exclaimed "that was AWESOME!" but I found the story a bit too ridiculous for my liking.

Just watched it this afternoon with the kids on the big screen in the garage. Everyone very much enjoyed it including me. £20 cheap vs taking all of us the the cinema so didn’t mind.

Why is there no Atmos soundtrack for this film? If I’m going to pay 20 quid you surely would expect the best available sound. Also why is there no mention of the sound quality/format and only video quality in the review? I feel sound is equally important.

Last edited:
Just watched it - went down well. I would say it was pretty 'light' as films go - not going to leave you with much afterwards but a decent magical couple of hours at the end of home-school lockdown, with a few good jokes - esp. the puppy one.

I'd just like to see choice being offered. Cinema or home streaming.... I think those who go to the cinema regularly will still go and there is the potential for greater revenue in some ways. I often play catch up on streaming for the films I want to see, so being able to watch at home on the PJ at the same time as cinema release works for me - and I may still stump up for the physical media for the big hitters.
I’d definitely be happy with a choice, but a choice to buy outright (pref disc).
Just watched it this afternoon with the kids on the big screen in the garage. Everyone very much enjoyed it including me. £20 cheap vs taking all of us the the cinema so didn’t mind.
For sure a family cinema trip, and popcorn (anything else is pre bought) and £20 is good value. Also I can drink since there’s no driving involved.

I will watch it when available on Disney's Plus standard subscription. Having said that I will no doubt buy it (as I like physical discs) when it comes out on BD and after it comes out on one of those Disney buy 2 for 1 offers, or when it eventually drops in price as a single purchase. There is also the option of me buying the BD used via CeX, music Magpie, Amazon or even ebay. Is there to be a 3D version of this on disc do you know?

Utter generic rubbish made purely to pander to the genocidal CCP so Disney can make $$$ of the sheep within its borders... I was bored rigid throughout it, daughter enjoyed it but said it's no Moana, you'd be crazy to give Disney your money for this drivel, I sure as shit didn't

I’ve seen the trailer and if it was £10-£15 maybe I would pay but not £20. If I had kids in the house it would be different. Now if it were a big marvel film or something like Dune then I would pay that. Perhaps if they gave you a voucher off the disk when it comes out.

It was okay, looked good on the big screen at home. I liked it more than Mulan, I do wish they'd stop pandering to the Chinese and make something original based on American culture where I think they would do a better job. It did raise a few chuckles though so I can't say I wasn't entertained at all 6/10

Utter generic rubbish made purely to pander to the genocidal CCP so Disney can make $$$ of the sheep within its borders... I was bored rigid throughout it, daughter enjoyed it but said it's no Moana, you'd be crazy to give Disney your money for this drivel, I sure as sh*t didn't
It was okay, looked good on the big screen at home. I liked it more than Mulan, I do wish they'd stop pandering to the Chinese and make something original based on American culture where I think they would do a better job. It did raise a few chuckles though so I can't say I wasn't entertained at all 6/10

Admittedly I haven’t seen the film, but I am somewhat confused. The review clearly states that the film is set in South East Asia so not sure where the China stuff is coming from...

Why is there no Atmos soundtrack for this film? If I’m going to pay 20 quid you surely would expect the best available sound. Also why is there no mention of the sound quality/format and only video quality in the review? I feel sound is equally important.
Agreed. I always find the SQ on Disney + to be average at best. Maybe its just my systems transparency but comparing Moana BD and Disney + streams is night and day. The stream sounds muffled and closed in, the BD opens up everything (like I've just taken off ear defenders)

Watched it last night and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it (lots of giggles from the 7yo and a few snuggles into me for the scarier stuff - win win). I'd give it a 6/10 but then again, it's not aimed at me. Kids will watch it again and again and again no doubt. I think it will be a grower as I wasn't impressed with Frozen (1) or Moana on first viewing.

One thing I can't figure out is how to watch the movie from the kids profile on Disney+. It's available and we purchased it from the adults profile but I can't see a way to share it. I prefer not let the kids use the adults profile as then they have access to all the Star content.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom