Raya and the Last Dragon (Disney+) Movie Review & Comments

DrH

So after saying I would wait the family wants to see it.
Money paid.
Will watch this today

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Watched it last night and the kids thoroughly enjoyed it (lots of giggles from the 7yo and a few snuggles into me for the scarier stuff - win win). I'd give it a 6/10 but then again, it's not aimed at me. Kids will watch it again and again and again no doubt. I think it will be a grower as I wasn't impressed with Frozen (1) or Moana on first viewing.

One thing I can't figure out is how to watch the movie from the kids profile on Disney+. It's available and we purchased it from the adults profile but I can't see a way to share it. I prefer not let the kids use the adults profile as then they have access to all the Star content.

I don't think it matters where you buy it - is it the case that the controls set on the child profile do not allow it? e.g. the film is rated at '6+' - is this level allowed on yours?

1615112793121.png

Jules Tohpipi

Watched it on the projector last night with my wife and 10yo daughter. They both loved it. The visuals are great and the film did its intended job perfectly.

For dad it was infinitly more bearable than sitting through either of the Frozen films.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review, will watch this in June once it's "free" as part of our Disney+ subscription :)

+1.

I wouldn't mind paying £9.99 but £19.99 takes it closer to the disc price.

bongo123

In 7-10 years‘ time, when physical media has been ‘phased out’, and you are forced to pay £20 for every significant release on top of the £20 monthly fee, remember this moment and your part in this evil.

This so much, the fact that people are willing to not only pay an additional £20 of all things ontop of a monthly subscription let alone taking into account the politics behind it all is sheer madness

Stonedofmoo

£20 is too much tbh. I wonder how many people opted to wait until it's free because it was £20. Surely it would be better to price it lower, say £10 and then see if they get 2x or more the purchases.

As for the film we enjoyed it, as did the kids.

crabby09

Jeez... the amount of moaning about the price, when what we should be talking about is the film :(

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, to insinuate that we who have paid are "evil" is truly pathetic... Cinema's aren't open - if they were then we'd have probably made the trip instead... So to call us out as the reason that Cinema is dying is simply inaccurate and, at worst, highly incendiary.

And sure - a load of you are upset by £20 because your cinema ticket is less than that... So, wait for the free release like other, much more sensible, people have suggested and please stop whining.

Also, to claim this film is some sort of China led war on the West is also sad. For a start, it's not based in China. Secondly, a lot of the area on which it is actually based would argue that they dislike China and are happy to be represented for once. Finally, and most importantly, the "umbrella" under which a film is produced (even when proven to be factually inaccurate) doesn't alter how it is received as a piece of art unless those that view it choose to do so.

Let's just take a breath, yeah?

Last edited:

Jules Tohpipi

When lockdown ends everybody is free to go back to the good old days, if they prefer.

You know, paying for expensive family tickets at cinemas to watch new films. Then paying Sky or Virgin a monthly fee, yet not be able to watch the latest releases either - all on one device only.

Then buying physical media, to watch on one device only, which won't update itself free of charge to HD, 4K, HDR or Atmos like iTunes individual film purchases.

Ah yes, the good old days.

Last edited:

sjackson

I don't think it matters where you buy it - is it the case that the controls set on the child profile do not allow it? e.g. the film is rated at '6+' - is this level allowed on yours?

View attachment 1472037

Thanks so much. Only available on the mobile app and not on Android TV hence I couldn't find it. Also I had the "Kids" profile set to on so that greatly limited the content. Set new profile for each child with the appropriate age rating and everything is perfect.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I paid the money and did a group watch with 4 of my grandchildren, my sister and my niece as well as my two daughters with their kids.
Money well spent and a decent film.
Now how this got the same score as Coming 2 America I don't know...;)

bandyka

Really liked this one and it's a looker.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, to insinuate that we who have paid are "evil" is truly pathetic... Cinema's aren't open - if they were then we'd have probably made the trip instead... So to call us out as the reason that Cinema is dying is simply inaccurate and, at worst, highly incendiary.
In the interests of fairness I think the poster was calling the practice 'evil', not those taking part in it.
When lockdown ends everybody is free to go back to the good old days, if they prefer.

You know, paying for expensive family tickets at cinemas to watch new films. Then paying Sky or Virgin a monthly fee, yet not be able to watch the latest releases either - all on one device only.

Then buying physical media, to watch on one device only, which won't update itself free of charge to HD, 4K, HDR or Atmos like iTunes individual film purchases.

Ah yes, the good old days.

The economics of this depend on individual circumstances, not the times. For example, I used to pay monthly Cineworld subscription which meant unlimited new films for under £20 per month. So it is the good old days for me.

On the other hand, if you don't have that and wish to take the whole family to a Disney film, then you would likely have spent way more than £20. So this works out brilliantly for you.

Personally I'm not complaining and am happy to wait till the summer to see it free on D+ (or at the theatre, if it re-opens).

DrH

We watched this at home and enjoyed it.
Boy do I miss the IMAX screen and sound system.
The animation is just amazing these days.

Steven

Senior Moderator
And sure - a load of you are upset by £20 because your cinema ticket is less than that...

Cost and value are different things 😎

My Ex Odeon membership, that I had the good fortune to cancel the months before the pandemic heh, cost less than this

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Cost and value are different things 😎

My Ex Odeon membership, that I had the good fortune to cancel the months before the pandemic heh, cost less than this

Clearly if you are a lone-viewer, £20 is very pricey for a home viewing. If you are a 4/5/6+ member family if is a different proposition.

bootyman81

Distinguished Member
Very much enjoyed it!
great visuals, gorgeous animation, nice vocal performances particularly Awkwafina & enjoyable story.
solid 7 👍🏽

Jules Tohpipi

When Disney were calculating the relative economics of releasing this movie now, or waiting for lockdown to end, I’m guessing its pricing model wasn’t built upon cinemas crammed full of only single blokes and couples.

Last edited:

Mallardo

If my kids say they want to watch it they can wait. I see it as teaching them patience, and the value of money.

Nothing to do with me being a tightwad.....

DrH

In 7-10 years‘ time, when physical media has been ‘phased out’, and you are forced to pay £20 for every significant release on top of the £20 monthly fee, remember this moment and your part in this evil.
As someone whom has been buying physical media for more than 40 years don’t remember being part of any evil.
Now if you was to mention how much Disney charge for anything in their theme parks then I would agree.

As a big Disney fan I want them to keep going, as I can’t spend in their theme parks at the moment £20 was as it turns out well spent.

Davekale86

Will either wait for when it comes out as part of the sub or when they release the 4K uhd disc considering what it would cost at the cinema £20 seems ok to me 👍

maverick177uk

Distinguished Member
We enjoyed it and it looked great although they stole the premise from Infinity Wars for the story ;):D

nenito2k

@bootyman81 or @DrHor any one else

is it me or is the HDR "lacking" ?!
last week i saw CROODS origins on 4k Bluray...and the difference with RAYA is HUGE !
sure streams are not bluray...but still this release seemed darker and colors not that big a deal
looked great still...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021