1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

raw

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by bigadg, Jan 8, 2005.

1. bigadg

bigadg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi to all
    this is my first post so go easy on me please
    i have got a eos20d just upgraded from 300d
    i have been shooting digital for 12 months now using the 300d using jpegs
    and have never had to do any work on the pics
    now with the 20d i am not to happy with the pics not as sharp as with the 300d
    so i think i would like to try raw but i dont have any idea how to
    i know how to set raw on the camera
    but dont know how to get the file into any software maybe i dont have the right software /photoshop 7/ elements 2/ + the bundled software that comes with the camera
    please help
    stu

2. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    You should be able to download your cameras RAW format viewing and editing software from your cameras manufacturers website.
    You can also download some patches that allow Photoshop to import some cameras RAW images.
    Have a look on your cameras website first. If in doubt send an email to their technical support if you cant find anything

3. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using photoshop 7, open the converted file (TIF from the RAW). Run and unsharp mask with settings of 20-60-0 in that order.

Professionals and wedding phots (and me!) I know do this to all their converted files before doing any other work on them. It's known as de-fogging.

Are you using the same glass as you used on the 300d?

The bundled EF-S 18-55 lens is reportedly very soft below about f8. I only have 10d so can't use this lens and can't speak from personal experience.

Collin

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I believe the 20D's pictures are not as sharp by default as the 300D's in jpeg mode. Think you can adjust the cameras parameters to sharpen up more, but if your going down the RAW route, then your gonna need to process EVERY image.
    I get the idea from your post that you just want acceptable pics straight from the camera? I thought they were fine from my 300D in jpeg mode until I started uploading to an aviation website....all got rejected for 'badsoft'.. :suicide:
    It was then I read up on Photoshop, and started to learn about post processing.........I still use jpeg only, saving the RAW route for later.. :D

have a look here if you like aircraft for some results....
    http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...rnet.com&sort_order=views&distinct_entry=true

regards

5. bigadg

bigadg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replys so far
    still dont know where to go next
    please keep the replys coming
    stu