• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

RAW to TIFF V’s JPEG which is best?

Puli

Hi,

Newbie here so be gently with me!:hiya:

I have a Fuji S5600 Camera and have started playing around shooting in RAW, then converting them to TIFF then editing.

Now I know that after editing the resulting TIFF file is much larger than the JPEG, but will it give me a better result when printing to A4 and A3 size’s?:confused:

On my computer screen I can’t see any difference between these larger TIFF files and the same shot done in Fine JPEG. So does the "extra" pixels make any difference?

Cheers

Puli

JohnD76

Your best option is to covert from RAW to TIFF and the JPG and print both pictures out. This will let you see which looks best on your printer.

I have a folder called negatives that I keep all my untouched RAW files in and tend to convert them to jpeg since I take loads of photos. I keep some as Tiff or PSD files if I am impressed with them. Keeping the "negatives" lets me go back and re process the photo again at a later date.

ocdwhiteboard

If you do the conversion just once and pick one of the higher level jpeg settings (ie bigger file size) I doubt you'll notice much difference in the final prints.

The place where you may see it is if you do several sessions of work on the jpeg, every time you save it it gets recompressed so after a few saves you will have lost more information.

redmax

Puli said:
On my computer screen I can’t see any difference between these larger TIFF files and the same shot done in Fine JPEG. So does the "extra" pixels make any difference?

Cheers

Puli
You won't notice any difference on your screen because your screen only views at 72ppi whatever format your viewing.

Printing is where you'll see.

baldrick

Why convert to Tiff first? Get something like Adobe Lightroom and you can work with the raw files. The plus side with this is that all the changes are saved as an addition file so you never actually change the original picture. You can then export the cropped, edited piccy to JPG for viewing sharing etc...

nokiauk

another vote for lightroom here although it's in beta3 it's very usable and allows you to catalog your files also as well as edit them and export to JPEG, the web gallery options is v good also

not sure if i'll want to shell out £200+ on the final version, depends on how much i use it between now and then.

i still have an originals folder with all my original RAW and JPEG images though, i just ask lightroom to copy them to it's own library.

Adobe Lightroom

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom