RAW.NEF photos

SweetGirl

I took a load of photos in 'RAW' mode last weekend.

When i got home and loaded them onto my machine i was unable to access them..:(

I can see them on the PC but when i double click on them i get this annoying message 'window cannot open this file'.

can anyone help...:lease:

V

vulkan75

Windows Picture viewer dosnt have Nef support.What PP software are you using?Most Have A plugin for accessing them.

Alternatively Install the nef viewing software, that came with your camera.

Picasa

Can access them its free to use too.

Yandros

RAW files are "straight from the sensor" and ignore any settings like sharpening, saturation etc. They're the digital version of a negative I suppose, whereas your jpegs are a 'print'. The main advantages are that they have no compression, and you can apply your own post processing at your leisure. The biggest problem is that they are a proprietory format, and they even vary in format slightly between camera models from the same manufacturer, so getting image editing software to open them can be a bit of a challenge.

For what it's worth, I got Nikon Capture NX for my birthday, and it's superb, but then I tinker for hours with sharpening, levels etc, and the default jpg results from the D200 are notoriously weak. By comparison, the D40 takes rather nice jpgs. If the D40 has the option to shoot both RAW+jpg fine, then I'd consider doing that, and save the RAW files until you get into post processing. I've been shooting digital for several years now, and only started shooting RAW in the last couple of months, so to be honest I'd say don't worry about them for now.

SweetGirl

Windows Picture viewer dosnt have Nef support.What PP software are you using?Most Have A plugin for accessing them.

Alternatively Install the nef viewing software, that came with your camera.

Picasa

Can access them its free to use too.

Vulkan, i use Photshop to edit most my JPEG photo, but loaded Nikon PictureProject ver 1.7 onto my PC to edit the these photos...found this software very difficult to use.

Is there any way of saving a RAW file into a JPEG file?

SweetGirl

RAW files are "straight from the sensor" and ignore any settings like sharpening, saturation etc. They're the digital version of a negative I suppose, whereas your jpegs are a 'print'. The main advantages are that they have no compression, and you can apply your own post processing at your leisure. The biggest problem is that they are a proprietory format, and they even vary in format slightly between camera models from the same manufacturer, so getting image editing software to open them can be a bit of a challenge.

For what it's worth, I got Nikon Capture NX for my birthday, and it's superb, but then I tinker for hours with sharpening, levels etc, and the default jpg results from the D200 are notoriously weak. By comparison, the D40 takes rather nice jpgs. If the D40 has the option to shoot both RAW+jpg fine, then I'd consider doing that, and save the RAW files until you get into post processing. I've been shooting digital for several years now, and only started shooting RAW in the last couple of months, so to be honest I'd say don't worry about them for now.

Yandros, I usually shoot all my photo's in JPEG. Must have clicked on the RAW by mistake.:suicide:
BTW u are absolutely correct, the D40 does have a Raw+JPEG option. I will be checking my setting are on JPEG from now.

Is there anyway i can convert these photos into a format i can edit using Photoshop?

V

vulkan75

You can download the Raw support for PhotoshopHERE

Follow the install instructions... and you will be able to access,edit and convert your RAW files to Whatever format you want.:)

Radiohead

It's worth bearing in mind that native raw convertors (eg Capture NX for the Nikons, DPP for the Canons and so on) will read RAW settings just as they will JPG settings. So you can apply settings in camera that will be read on import and reduce the need for post-processing. Raw files are quite often compressed as well, just not as much as lossy formats like JPG. The D200, IIRC, has the option of compressed or non-compressed NEF (although I could never see a difference) with the latter supposedly offering slightly better highlight and shadow detail.

If you use a third party convertor like Aperture, Lightroom or Capture One they will just see a flat raw file instead.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom