RAV4 Hybrid

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by Phill104, Aug 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Anyone had got one of these? Just got my renewal list and it is really cheap vs my allowance. In fact, I get a load of cash in my pocket for having one. Most of the others at work are getting big Mercs, Jags and Audi's etc, but I have never been one to care much for that sort of thing. Comfort and whether I can get all my windsurfing kit inside is mainly what counts, hence my current car being a Prius+. As my kids are getting older I find the 7 seats in that very rarely get used so the replacement I can probably get away without.

I can pretty much chose any car from the following brands. VAG group, BMW, Honda, Jaguar, Toyota, Ford, Vauxhall and Renault. I find the VAG group cars and BMW a real pain in the harris to configure as every tiny little thing is an extra.

2. Frostytouch

Frostytouch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The wife has the Lexus NX, which I think is the same platform and drive train with slightly posher body on top as the RAV hybrid.

It is pretty spacious as a 4, we have never tried 5, seater.

The boot isn't the biggest or deepest though, so you might want to look at one in the flesh. I think the battery pack and rear axle motor mean the boot floor is a fair bit higher than the normal petrol/diesel.

3. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Cheers. I looked at the NX too, looked great. Only reason I am not going for one is the lease price is considerably more, and I am a tight wad.

4. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +404
    My wife & I looked at the new RAV4. We couldn't get over just how big it had become (compared to earlier iterations of the model) and just how ugly and plasticky it was. That said, it seems to me that all of the new Toyotas are pretty much in the same boat .....

Clem

5. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I already have a Prius+ so am used to plasticky and ugly lol.

Had a look today and it is big, which for me is a good thing as I often need to carry 3 windsurf boards, numerous sails and masts etc. But, and this seems a possible killer for me, I couldn't get the passenger seat to fold all the way backwards like I can in the Prius+. There might still be enough, but I wonder why the gifts have to stop them so high. Surely in a vehicle of this kind it is a bit lacking in thought. The other minor thing, why do they not put auto mode on all the windows? All other Toyotas I have driven have that feature, but on the RAV4 only the driver gets it.

Gong to have a look at a CX-5 tomorrow. Just wish they did a decent hybrid. With Mazda they hav other quirks, like only putting active cruise control on one model in the entire range.

6. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    ^ We have a Lexus IS300H hybrid, to be very honest the 'hybrid' tech in the current Toyota/Lexus are totally out of date compared to what everyone else is doing. If the Rava 4 is anything like the NX than your struggle to see 40mpg even on a gentle run.

Volvo do some great plug in hybrid, as does BMW, the 225e may well have the luggage capacity you need.

7. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I did look at Volvo. They do two hybrid cars, both of which are hugely overpriced compared to their combustion equivalent models. The XC 90 for instance has a £13K increase in price for the hybrid which seems a bit much compared to what other brands charge. Seems a bit odd given Volvo will stop producing any ICE cars in a couple of years.

I will have a look at the BMW though.

One thing about plugin cars. My company pay for all my fuel. However, like many other companies they have yet to setup any system of covering costs for those that use plugin cars. Given they are promoting their green credentials and are actively trying to persuade the use of plugin and hybrid tech they need to pull their fingers out. I cannot see many employees taking up the use at f plugin tech if they will ultimately be funding their employer.

8. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,191
    Isn't that a bit of a broad brush statement? My other half's 2017 Toyota Corolla hybrid seems to have pretty good battery/engine management as has every other Toyota model I have driven using the same Toyota hybrid systems. They aren't built for the driver to bugger about with settings too much - unlikely joe average the driver will do a better job than the computer anyway. I am quite happy to call myself joe average in this context - although obviously I know far better than Toyota how to make an up to date hybrid quite a few million people might want to buy :D :rotfl:

Edit - the RAV4 is something I haven't driven in hybrid form. My comments above are my experience with Prius, Prius +, Camry and Corolla hybrids here in Australia. Various generations of each model. Corolla hybrid is less than a year old here - you have had it far longer I believe with a different model name.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  9. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    The hybrid system in the Prius+ is superb IMHO. Sure, it is designed to only be full EV in certain scenarios, but overall it is excellent.

Today I am driving a Mazda CX-5 on demo. The seats are a little uncomfortable, getting in and out is harder than the Prius and there are a few other little things I would change, such as allowing internet tethering over Bluetooth like Toyota does rather than having to enable a wireless hot. Driving is a different matter. You forget just how smooth the Toyota hybrid system is until you get in another car. Pulling away on batteries before the engine cuts in makes far more sense than the frustrating stop start system Mazda and many others use just to get around legislation in certain markets.

As above, Toyota can be frustrating at times, little they put in all the ranges then omit from the one you are after. Tiny things such as having all four windows on full auto, and not just the drivers door. Other minor things like only having one USB socket for the kids to fight over when they want to charge their phones. Mazda certainly put more thought in there. However, the Toyota hybrid really is a marvel. My 7 seater takes me from home to the office and back mainly on the motorway and I get 72mpg. Considering the size of the car that is very good. Figures are improving each generation, the older version I could only get 60mpg on the same journey.

I am not getting a demo RAV4 Hybrid until October 6th but am looking forward to the experience. At least it comes with a spare wheel instead of a Bose sub in the hole where a spare should be like the Mazda has. The lack of spare is another weight reduction trick manufacturers use to help meet legislation numbers.

10. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I dropped into the local Toyota dealership today and had a look at the Rav4 Hybrid. In the past I have been into car dealerships and as soon as they realise I am a company car driver they suddenly become less than helpful (yes Ford and Mercedes, I am talking about you) but in Stephen Eagle Toyota in MK the total opposite. They could not be more accommodating, which is one of the reasons I am on my third Toyota. If two cars are similar, I will go with the brand that has the best dealerships and I have been very pleased with Toyota. Bearing in mind I have been a company car driver for over 20 years, changing cars every 2 and also having various cars of my wife's, fathers etc serviced over the years I have had experience of a lot of different brands dealerships. It really does make a difference to me at least when choosing a brand.

After having a good look around and a short drive I am probably going to go for the Rav4. I currently have a CX-5 on demo and the quality inside is superb, but the legroom in the rear as well as comfort is somewhat lacking, especially so for such a big car. The boot on the CX-5 is bigger, the tonneau cover in the Mazda is fantastic in the way it rises with the boot lid. The suspension is really hard and the infotainment system is frustrating to say the least. The BOSE amp sounds great, but 50 seconds for the USB to start playing music every time the car starts (it seems to reload the file system every time) is insanely poor. Worse still, if you were for instance halfway through listening to a track, it restarts on a new one. So no chance of listening to a podcast or audio book. The engine is really powerful but the stop/start is awful. After driving hybrid for so long the stop start system in all conventional cars really does seem prehistoric. It is not as if you can even turn it off.

The Rav4 Hybrid by comparison was a lot smoother, much easier to drive and quieter. The drive is less involving, but I have driven so many miles over the years I am more interested in just getting from a to b. The infotainment system does look dated on the graphical front, but it works superbly displaying all the info I need, unlike the CX where the display id quite limited. Rear legroom is top notch, there is tons of it and the rear seats recline if needed. The lack of a bump on the floor in the middle also makes the centre seat more usable, unlike the one in the CX5. There are a couple of negatives, such as the lack of flat loading all the way through due to the hybrid batteries, and small things like the fact only the driver gets full auto window button. The positives such as actually having a spare wheel make up for it, no can of goo will help when you tear the tyre wall on a kerb or pothole. Interior wise and a few cheap feeling plastics aside everything has a great feel and is well put together. I have also become very used to using radar cruise control, it has definitely allowed me to keep a clean driving licence.

Driving both the technology of the active lane keep assist seems to be from the same manufacturer with almost identical operation, same goes for rear view camera and the active guide lines. Having the steering tweak itself at 70mph is a little odd at first but it is very subtle.

I will be trying the previously recommended BMW on Wednesday.

11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,547
    That really is a problem for you isn't it? :D I have never owned a car with it on any window other than the driver's, which is probably more a comment on the age of the cars I have owned :blush::laugh:

12. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    I'm just a miserable fart, and only in my 40s. I shudder to think what I will be like in retirement.

13. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40,547
    Your secret is safe with me :smashin:

Maybe not :)

14. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    I have a Toyota CHR Hybrid and I often get 73 MPG out of it, the average so far is 58 mpg mainly due to my wife who usually gets in the low 50's because she drives so fast.
    It's always in the 60's when I drive.

15. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    Weird, similar happens with my Prius+, I get more mpg than the wife. Must be all that time they spend failing to park properly or nattering with the engine running.

16. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +388
    Got even better than 73mpg tonight :)
    20170906_193909.jpg

17. gangzoom

gangzoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +989
    ^ I persume its running the same synergy drive as the new Priuis.

Sadly the current Lexus hybrids dont offer anywhere near the same level of economy. I briefly thought about a RX450H as my next car, beautiful leather inside everywhere, but when I saw the mpg reading after a breif drive in town I lost all interest......

I really wish Lexus would do the IS/RX in pure EV form, ill happly pay top $ for one, but sadly there is nothing on the horizon :(.

[​IMG]

18. Phill104

Phill104

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    It does seem odd the Toyota/Lexus have yet to go down the full EV route. They built a few full EV RAV4 in the US but they simply had a Tesla drive train.

The 450h is a huge car but I would have thought it would do better than that. I was getting 58 out of the RAV4 hybrid I had on test drive which had the same engine/drive as the Lexus 350h. I wonder if they tune them differently giving the Lexus more power and the Toyota more economy.