rational decision to chuck out 36" tv ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by srpsrp, Dec 29, 2006.

1. srpsrp

srpsrp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a Philips 36pw9308 which is coming up to 2 years old, generally I'm really happy with it but was considering one of these trendy new true-HD ready Plasmas. Is now a good time to buy ? I've read that the black level is not as good as a crt ? It would be nice to save some floor space but I guess that a bigger screen would mean a poorer picture until I get HD . Also I see that Philips don't make 36" CRT's anymore, is this because they can't make enough money on them or are PDP's genuinely a better buy these days ? Looks like I'll be sticking with the Philips for a while from a picture quality point of view ?

2. a27

a27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    How much do you want for it and where are you?

3. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    srpsrp, I bought a plasma screen (1366x768) two years ago after having owned a 36" Sony CRT. Yes, the black level on the Sony TV is a little better, but that's about it. Of course, blowing up a SD image even further than 36" does show up the imperfections more so, but overall I'd much rather watch the plasma screen over the CRT (I still have that in another room)....and when HD is sent to the plasma then there's no comparison at all - it really is excellent.

Some say that the 1920x1080 resolution screens don't necessarily give better PQ than the standard HD (1366x768, 1280x720 etc) screens, but if was buying now, a True HD screen is what I'd opt for.