Question Rational balanced owners of XBone and PS4 - which one?

Garnett

Established Member
Reaction score
I've held off for so long, but now Fallout 4 is out and assurances have been given that it's decent.

So which console do I buy?

I have an Xbox 360.

I loved Fallout 2 and Borderlands 1 (less so their sequels), and games like Mass Effect, etc. It sounds like I would have liked The Last Of Us.

I don't play football games or play online.

I use the media options a lot - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Blinkbox etc, and I have a fair few movies on a NAS it would be good to be able to access and watch if possible.

Thanks for any help especially heads-up on particular quirks someone not very up on these things might have no clue about.

I have both but if I was you then I'd check what games are coming out over the next year and see what appeals to you and then choose that console.
The last of us is a truly awesome game plus you now have all the Uncharted games on PS4 and a new one next year and they are great games. So well worth a look.
Then you have a new gears game and quantum break looks awesome too for Xbox one. Plus the multi plats like battle front, cod etc. I'm excited for The division looks awesome.
Not helping much am I [emoji1]
Um..get both the reckon!!![emoji6]

What have people you know got?

Sorry to jump on your thread, I'll delete it if it's a problem, however I am in the same predicament, I want to get a later console to play Battlefront, my son, a mate of mine have ps4's but I'm still Looking at the Xbox one lol, how does it fare nowadays with playing iso's, mkvs from a HDD or network drive? I fancy Forza, I also fancy a motorbike racing game! Any gooduns around ?

Thanks and good luck with your search!

Sorry to jump on your thread, I'll delete it if it's a problem, however I am in the same predicament, I want to get a later console to play Battlefront, my son, a mate of mine have ps4's but I'm still Looking at the Xbox one lol, how does it fare nowadays with playing iso's, mkvs from a HDD or network drive? I fancy Forza, I also fancy a motorbike racing game! Any gooduns around ?

I have both machines and have had since launch

To be honest regardless of all the press the issue gets , in my opinion the difference in quality in multiplatform games (cod, battlefield etc) is negligible. Ive played the same games on both machines and couldnt tell the difference, but mayb e thats just me

To be honest as others have said it comes down to
  • What machines friends have
  • What controller you prefer
  • What exclusives you want to play
Xbox One - Halo, Forza, Gears and the new Tomb Raider
PS4 - The last of us, uncharted, bloodborne

Other games all seem to look and play the same to the average person

Only other thing I can say is the user interface on the PS4 seems a lot mopre organised and cleaner but then who sits looking at that any longer than they need to

If your after a motorbike racing game check out the DriveClub Bikes game on PS4 - gets good feedback

The X1 i know for a fact plays nearly all the media stuff form a HDD. Off the top of my head im not sure if the PS4 does yet or not???

Im not helping with this but they both have there good and bad points. If you can afford it go for both.

The X1 i know for a fact plays nearly all the media stuff form a HDD. Off the top of my head im not sure if the PS4 does yet or not???

Im not helping with this but they both have there good and bad points. If you can afford it go for both.
Lol I like your thinking about having both, I currently have Xbox 360, PS3 and now Fire Tv for retro gaming, I'd love both but not sure if Father Xmas is going to be that kind to me lol, I am 48 so not sure he's even planning on visiting me lol!

Does the Xb1 play stuff over the network as well as the HDD?
Thanks

Hey just thought I would give my opinion as I am in a slightly different position. I have a ps4 and love it, however I think I am going to get an Xbox one at the weekend. I have been thinking about it for a while. I just think there are some really good exclusives on the Xbox now and more coming out, such as forza, tomb raider, gears and halo. I will be keeping my ps4 though. I intend to get multi play games on my ps4 still as I believe they look slightly better on that. However from what my friends say (most of them have Xbox) there really isn't much of a difference.

I don't think you will be disappointed with what you decide to get. My only advice would be just to look at the games and what would interest you more.

The impression I have is that the PS4 is a little better for games, the X-box one is a little more media orientated.

I wanted to play Fallout 4 so got the PS4 as Fallout seem to play better on that.

Either console is decent though.

Techradar did a comparison.

PS4 vs Xbox One: which is better? | TechRadar

Both consoles are being updated though. Firmware is updated all the time. The PS4 has had a hardware update.

Both great consoles, I don't think you can go wrong either way - personally I prefer my PS4 and it tends to get used a lot more, but the differences are really minor, and usually based on preference alone. For me, it comes down to:
- I prefer the smaller design of the PS4 console.
- The PS4's internal hard drive is upgradeable, whereas with the Xbox One you need an external drive.
- I can't use any of my USB headsets with my Xbox One. (Pretty much any USB headset works with the PS4.)
- Controller. I find the Dual Shock 4 more comfortable, and prefer the feel of the sticks. (Although the Xbox One does have rumble triggers, which I like a lot.)
- Generally speaking, if there's a difference between the PS4 and XB1 version of a game, performance/resolution discrepancies will favour the PS4. I think it's rare that you'd be able to tell the difference in real world scenarios, though.

My only real gripe against the PS4 is the difference in controller battery life - I generally get 4-6 hours from my Dual Shocks before I have to plug them in for a charge.

Whichever one your mates have.

Both are great machines, if you can afford it, get both.

Both are great machines, if you can afford it, get both.

Well the Xbox is a good machine there is no doubting that. I have to admit I have thought about selling it again, only because I'm not sure if I would have time to play both my ps4 and Xbox. However I think I will keep it. I have been playing black ops with a few of my mates and it is more fun playing with people you know. My ps4 will be now for more single player stuff I think.

Graphics wise the Xbox looks great, I personally can't see a big difference. Maybe there are certain games that look better on the ps4 but so far tomb raider and forza look brilliant, so maybe the Xbox exclusives just look better. Having struggled to get used to it, I now think I prefer the Xbox controller.
The UI takes a bit of getting used too but it is very smooth and quick now.

Which console have you got? I think you will be happy with either or get both :)
My advice would be go with what your friends have and what exclusives you prefer

I'm fortunate to have both consoles. The only game I have on both is Battlefront. I use the same TV for both consoles and the PS4 graphics on battlefront are far sharper.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom