1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rather odd E800 question.

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Nimby, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Hi

Is there some way to use the E800's own "Sub-Out" phono socket to drive its own (otherwise unused) Centre speaker channel to feed a passive sub? While leaving the other channels (and 5.1 processing) performing normally.

Thanks
    Nimby

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I can't guarantee that it works, it's entirely at your own risk and there are some conditions to be fullfilled:

The only way so use the center channel amplification is if it's possible to split the center channel between pre- and power amp stage, i.e. there must a small bridge at the back and two RCA/phono connectors labelled center out/center in respectively (my Yamaha for example has such). Remove the bridge and connect the subwoofer out to the center in.

If this cannot be done than you won't need to continue with point 2. and 3.

How is the E800 configured, i.e. is there an option to tell if there is no center (so-called phantom center)?

If the center is configured to be present then the 5.1 processing will also route signals (non-bass / non-LFE) to the center but we don't want that, so it should be set to be not present.
    If the menu option is different from the LARGE/SMALL setting, set the center to LARGE (avoiding any possible loopbacks, just in case).

Configure the sub as present (Sub=YES) and set the bass/LFE out to SUB.

The question is now if the center channels power amp stage can be used without that a center speaker is configured. If the setting effects only the pre-amp stage and does not shut-down the power amp it should actually work.

3. SillySausage

SillySausage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I doubt this can be done.

IIRC, it has a 6 channel input connection, and ouputs for all channels.

However, I think that if you used one of the six channels in and centre out I do no believe the E800 would perform any sort of processing.

I may be completely wrong, so please do not connect anything on my advice :nono:

IMO, It would probably be better to buy an active sub, or if all else fails use a seperate amp section for it.... Maybe a mono amp from BK :rolleyes:

Hope this helps a little.

Adam.

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Amazing!

Thanks for a remarkable response Reiner. :)

I couldn't get my head round the idea of telling the centre channel that no speaker existed but I was still sending it a signal via Sub-out and still expecting it to be amplified.

Now it seems even more complicated than I imagined. :rolleyes:

I think it might be easier (and possibly safer) to get a plate amp (or amps) for my passive subs.

But thanks again for a splendid effort. :smashin:

Regards
    Nimby

Thanks Adam, you posted while I was composing my response to Reiner.

5. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm sure it could be done - and if I could get hold of the schematics and a PCB layout diagram I'm pretty sure I could do it - there must be some point at which the analogue input to the centre channel amp is accessible on a PC track - just cut that track, and connect the amplifier side to the centre pin on the sub-out socket.

In effect this is implementing the pre-out to main in bridge that Reiner refers to.

6. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +670
    Thanks dave but I have no plans to disembowel my E800! :blush:

Regards
    Nimby