Rather Disappointed!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Tricky-Ricky, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Finally got a call from RS to tell me what they thought was a comparable replacement for my faulty
    65" Samsung JS9000 which at the time was just one step down from the top model, i will obviously loose 3D but that was expected, but they have offered me a
    QE65Q6FN now in my books its not really the same spec, it lacks the one connect box which is very useful in my setup, and also i think the twin satilite tuner/positioner? and although its the new Q spec as was my JS9000 all be it the first of its kind, the Q6 seems the base model of the Q series.

Now i gave customer services a ring to discuss it and their opinion was then as my JS9000 was nearly two years old they could have just given me the value with wear and tear deducted, fair enough i guess, but i am now in the position of either accepting the Q6, adding yet more money to get the Q7
    which i am not sure a can stretch to right now, or get something else, which would probably be the
    Sony BRAVIA KD65XF9005BU which is the equivalent of the cash they are allowing me, so whats your opinion and what would you do?

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    Get the Sony. Better than either QLED mentioned.

3. AndyCob

AndyCob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Check the replacement wording carefully most use 'similar' rather than 'same spec' and take a sliding scale of depreciation into account for older items. I got really lucky once off a same spec replacement in that the only same spec TV available at the time the old one broke actually cost more than I originally paid. They even changed the warranty terms after to add 'up to what was originally paid'.

4. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Decided to go for the Sony KD65XF9005 hoping i have made the right decision, there was no way i would take the Q6 and paying another £400 for an already over priced Q7 was not going to happen mainly for the fact that its edge lit, the LGKS950 was tempting with its simulated Dolby atmos over the Sony's reported lacking sound output, but its lack of contrast being an IPS panel put me off, plus i would of had to add cash again,
    I only hope that the Sony has a satellite positioner function, as even Sony didn't seem to have that info.....and the final kicker will be if the wife decides she doesn't like the picture.:rolleyes:

5. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Had a call earlier from Samsung asking about a TV exchange, now the wife took the call and thought it was the courier company that are supposed to be bringing the new Sony replacement TV from RS and taking the faulty Samsung.......but no they wanted a copy of the original sales receipt with a view to replacing the faulty set, so i had to inform them that the set swap had already been organised by RS.
    But that means that they where prepared to exchange a two year old faulty set that was out of warranty with them, which is pretty good of them in my books...cant hep but wonder just what they would have replaced it with though!

I can only presume that the repair company that was commissioned by RS had approached them about obtaining a new screen, and because none are available they where prepared to replace the set, so although i have had nothing but trouble with the last few Samsung sets, full marks for their offer.

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    @Tricky-Ricky please use this existing thread to post about your updates, no need to create a new one and cross post which is against forum rules. I have moved your new topic and merged it into this one.

7. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    After doing some more lurking in Curry's and fiddling with the sets (they probably think I'm a weirdo by now) anyway was leaning toward the LG SK9500 i tried to check out the playback via a USB stick only to find it didn't like the formatting, so tried it on BBC and C4 streaming and unless the in store WiFi was abysmal the PQ was rubbish, but unfortunately the Sony's and several other sets WiFi was not working so couldn't do a comparison, so i am still nowhere near making any kind of decision...in fact i am further away than before,

Even started thinking about OLED but still have my reservations about the prospect of screen burn further down the line, and to go for this years B8 with its supposed added burn protection is still going to cost me more cash, in some ways i have been tempted to go back to Samsung as at least i kind of know what I'm getting ......prospective backlight bleed :rolleyes: and the FALD set is just going to be a bridge too far if the misses has anything to do with it, who would think getting another TV was so stressful.:(

8. Kratos88

Kratos88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The sk9500 has poor contrast and bad black uniformity. The bleeding/glow on this tv looks bad as well, would most likely ruin your picture.. LG SK9500 Review (65SK9500PUA) - RTINGS.com

IPS are known to have temporary image retention as well, You can see it in this review, looks ugly. You'd be better off with a VA, the sony xf900 would be a lot better than the LG.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  9. Tricky-Ricky

Tricky-Ricky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Thanks, yes read the RTINGS review, but do find them a bit bias, never heard about IPS panels having temporary image retention, will still have a the demo but also going to consider the Q7 (devil you know) but i know i am safer with the XF9005, RS does not do the XF930.

10. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    There’s no XF930.

11. Kratos88

Kratos88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If you do gaming or watch tv channels with static logos I'd pass on an oled imo. There's people that say they don't have problems ect but it will eventually happen, I've read pretty bad stories about burn in on a lot of reddit posts. VA panels are immune to burn in issues which is a massive plus but it's all about what your going to watch on it and use it for I guess.

I just can't imagine spending 1000's on a tv with great blacks, colours ect for it to get either temporary/burnt in static images. I don't know if these people only use it a few hours a day or don't game, but I've read about more people having burn in issues on oled than people that haven't. There isn't many comments I've seen where people have said they game and watch tv for like 8 hours a day that haven't got temp/permanent burn in.