Rate Conversion Dubbing on XS32

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by AVFan7667, Jan 3, 2005.

1. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have some items on the HDD of my XS32 - 5 recordings which are an hour each.

I have spent some time setting up chapters (using GOP to get the right breaks) and the parts I want to keep are 50 mins each (give or take a few seconds).

I made Playlists on the HDD and then chaptered those so they had a break every 10 minutes.

Then I decided I would try and fit them all on a single disc as they are not that important that they should be in high quality.

A bit-rate of 2 is required to fit them onto a single DVD-R.

My question (after a lot of rambling) is how should I go about a Rate Conversion Dub of these?

I do not want to lose the chapter editing I did earlier (it was a pain to do).

Should I dub the original 60-min recordings back to HDD and then re-make Playlists for them before creating my DVD-R? (if I do this will it keep my chapter marks I made using GOP after the rate-conversion) I can then make new Playlists for them before creating the DVD-R.

Alternatively, if I rate-convert the Playlists to a DVD-R (so I only dub what I actually want) can I then make chapter marks on the DVD-R and a Menu etc. on the unfinalized DVD-R?

Thanks

2. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas anyone?

I was hoping to leave the conversion going overnight tonight.

Thanks

3. tobyjuggler

tobyjuggler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you rate convert any playlist or original that contains chapters, the chapters will be lost no matter how you do it. Also, once they are on the DVD-R you cannot add the chapters again, you need to do the rate conversion to HDD, then re-add the chapters, then burn to DVD.

To avoid losing the chapters you could find out by how much the combined recordings need to be compressed as a whole to fit on one disc, then create playlists, each of which contains just one chapter, then rate convert each individual playlist and recombine again afterwards. A pain to do, but that way you won't lose the chapter markings. Then, fingers crossed, it should all fit on one DVD-R.

Now, I wonder if the RD-XS32 uses VBR or CBR, because I guess this will have an effect when converting smaller chunks like individual 10-minute chapters rather than a whole hour-long title.

4. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Try displaying the bitrate while watching a recording, if you do it by changing the dispay on the front of the recorder you get the actual number. When I did that it did vary, inplying VBR, but I could be wrong

5. AVFan7667

AVFan7667
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I rate-convert dub a programme back to the HDD after carefully selecting the frames to edit at with GOPs, will it still be OK? I don't want to rate-dub to HDD and lose my GOP points and end up with rogue frames of ads again.

Also, If I add 5 Playlists to be converted down a rate, will it conveert them all one after each other into seperate files (as I hope it will), or will it make one big file I have to re-edit?

Thanks