1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ratDVD

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Moosh, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    This may be of interest to the HCPC people.

http://www.ratdvd.dk/index.htm

It's a program called ratDVD that allows you to save the entire contents of a DVD in a highly compressed .ratDVD file. It requires Windows XP, DirectX 9 and Windows Media Player 10.

If this program lives up to what the author says then it'd be a great way of saving all of your DVD's on a HCPC's hard drive. The only downside I think is:

Moosh

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think serious AV people would be happy losing Dolby 5.1 or DTS myself

Movies dont take that much room anyway if you just rip the movie + preferred soundtrack to store on hard drive

3. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    i wouldnt lose :dts: or :dd: ever simple. think i will stick with my 300gb HDD and using DVDShrink to rip dvd's uncompressed and unaltered

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,873
    You can keep the DD or DTS if you want it.

It is a good program but, it isn't designed for HCPC use. It is for uploading/downloading of the net.

5. rhumber

rhumber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've used this program for the last couple of weeks.

Is it me or is the video not as good as normal torrents?

I downloaded a couple of movies and they seem to be worse quality than normal.

I guess it compresses video also in the ratDVD format, so when you convert to a dvd it's worse than normal is this right?

I just seem to get this video blockiness that I haven't really seen before.

Just that the RatDVD format is so good as the torrents are 1/4 the normal size which makes downloading much easier!

Thanks for any comments...

6. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Personally my view is that with the advent of HDTV the last thing most would want is even more compressed video, particulary at the loss of audio and video quality. These things surely are more suitable for portable media solutions, well just my views...

Considering the price of harddisk storage continues to drop and will have to reach a new capacity or who knows maybe approx 20p per gig or less within the year. All because HDDVD / BLURAY PC drives and blank discs should become widely available, but ultimately requiring larger files/storage for HD material will even out with price reductions just as DVDs changed things in the past...

I remember in the days of 56k paying £220 for a 40GB drive thinking id never fill it, mmmm