Ratchet and Clank - Rift Apart

Doctor Hades

I got my copy from SimplyGames yesterday so got to play a couple of hours of it last night. The game looks incredible and while the gameplay is familiar, it's still a lot of fun, the characters are endearing and funny and the added detail afforded by the more powerful PS5 hardware really brings the environments to life. It is also the most ridiculously colourful game I've seen to date and the HDR is absolutely gorgeous.

It's not all perfect though. I am someone who enjoys taking my time to explore the levels and I came across one minor bug where Ratchet got stuck behind a crate and it was difficult to jump out of. Also, jumping near some crates results in some odd animation glitches which required me to move back a little then I was able to jump on them fine. Finally, I found a few ledges that Ratchet should have been able to jump onto but just fell straight through. These weren't especially out of the way places either so I guess these are just small glitches. They in no way mar the quality of this awesome game but they stood out for me because everything else is just so damn well-made.

I tried the game in Fidelity 30 fps mode and while it runs smoothly and looks gorgeous, once I switched to the RT Performance at 60 fps then there was simply no going back. The drop in resolution is not that noticeable from the viewing distance I sit on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV. Thankfully, the 60 fps framerate seems solid, no matter how much chaos Ratchet causes, so there are no immersion-breaking stutters or framerate drops (so no need for VRR for this game... which is a good job as Sony are taking their sweet damn time supporting it!!!).

Can't wait to play more of this tonight.

Last edited:

Don Rogers Tash

I got my copy from SimplyGames yesterday so got to play a couple of hours of it last night. The game looks incredible and while the gameplay is familiar, it's still a lot of fun, the characters are endearing and funny and the added detail afforded by the more powerful PS5 hardware really brings the environments to life. It is also the most ridiculously colourful game I've seen to date and the HDR is absolutely gorgeous.

It's not all perfect though. I am someone who enjoys taking my time to explore the levels and I came across one minor bug where Ratchet got stuck behind a crate and it was difficult to jump out of. Also, jumping near some crates results in some odd animation glitches which required me to move back a little then I was able to jump on them fine. Finally, I found a few ledges that Ratchet should have been able to jump onto but just fell straight through. These weren't especially out of the way places either so I guess these are just small glitches. They in no way mar the quality of this awesome game but they stood out for me because everything else is just well-made.

I tried the game in Fidelity 30 fps mode and while it runs smoothly and looks gorgeous, once I switched to the RT Performance at 60 fps then there was simply no going back. The drop in resolution is not that noticeable from the viewing distance I sit on my 55" LG B9 OLED TV. Thankfully, the 60 fps framerate seems solid, no matter how much chaos Ratchet causes, so there are no immersion-breaking stutters or framerate drops (so no need for VRR for this game... which is a good job as Sony are taking their sweet damn time supporting it!!!).

Can't wait to play more of this tonight.
It definitely needs a patch for the bugs but so far...it's so lovely on the eyes.
Imagine how good games will look next year.

vinvader

I've fallen through the map once, but I kind of really enjoy when stuff like that happens and you can see how the levels built.

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
£59 at Tesco. Plus an additional £5 off with a code (I think)

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
Been playing this for a couple of hours this morning in 60fps RT mode.

These snaps really don't it justice on how it looks on my 65" CX. 😍
1623414412920.png

1623414450871.png

1623414481594.png

1623414506827.png

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
Tough one that, I would give it to Ratchet only because there are game mechanics at play in Ratchet that Miles Morales doesn't have. Both are excellent games they should be in everyones collection.

MahaRaja

Tough one that, I would give it to Ratchet only because there are game mechanics at play in Ratchet that Miles Morales doesn't have. Both are excellent games they should be in everyones collection.
Thanks. I'm buying only one game for my son for his new PS5, when he sets his console and to start him of with.

Ultrasonic

Thanks. I'm buying only one game for my son for his new PS5, when he sets his console and to start him of with.
How old is your son and have they played previous Spiderman or Ratchet and Clank games?

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
If your son hasn't played the first Spider-Man game, then i'd say get Spider-Man Ultimate Edition it comes with Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales in the same package, cheaper than Rachet & Clank.

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
£59 at Tesco. Plus an additional £5 off with a code (I think)
Dammit! I had one of those codes but wasn't expecting tesco to sell for under 65.

rb5201

Didn't expect tesco to be that cheap. Maybe I should have waited as I would have got 10% discount in top. Stock levels never great though so have I've got it today.

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I’ve no regrets with my £65 Shopto but Tesco are getting good at this.

rb5201

Problem now is I'm thinking do I need a better TV. Currently playing on a 55" Sony xf9005. Looks good but could it look better on something like the cx oled?

Also noticed to rift it pops up with L1 but it's actually circle.

General Zod

I've had the same getting stuck behind crates and had to quit and re-load. The speed at which the game loads a save though is very impressive. It's almost instantaneous

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Darn it - Shopto/Royal Mail have let me down for this one - my game has gone to completely the wrong sorting office :(

KennyNinja74

Distinguished Member
Darn it - Shopto/Royal Mail have let me down for this one - my game has gone to completely the wrong sorting office :(
Make sure you put in your claim at shopto for non-delivery think you get £5 for non-delivery.

WhiteHartMart

Distinguished Member
Make sure you put in your claim at shopto for non-delivery think you get £5 for non-delivery.
Yea - will be doing that thanks - think I'll go back to someone like Simply Games next time who still seem to despatch on the Wednesday for new releases?

tony kop77

Bought this game only second physical copy I have bought for ps5 and it’s turning my console off every 10 minutes. I’m tempted to buy it digitally and see if it works

Pillow Lover

Distinguished Member

Get it from Tesco for £59 if you can and return the Shopto one when it turns up.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung HW-Q950A Soundbar Review coming soon to AVForums.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Campfire Audio launches new Satsuma and Honeydew earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon Prime Day 2021: 21st-22nd June
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Naim debuts Solstice turntable in special edition package
  • By Andy Bassett