Raspberry Pi woes

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by TUSSFC, Aug 5, 2013.

1. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I see various posts online where people are singing the praises of the Raspberry Pi and the ease they had in getting it working (even via wifi).

Well, I'm at my wits end.

My internet connection is supplied by Virgin Media cable. I have their Superhub.

I have 2 x RPIs, both Model Bs (one 512mb and one 256mb).

I have plans to setup a home server but in the meantime I want to run XBMC from the RPIs and basically just use the TVCatchup, iPlayer, 4OD addons and ocassionally IceFilms, etc.

My issue is that I just cannot get a stable stream, in any addon, no matter what configuration I try.

(1) 512mb RPI connected directly to Superhub via ethernet. Running Xbian and later tried OpenElec. Very poor stream, intermittent, with both distros.
    (2) 512mb RPI with wifi. Tried both an Edimax and a Tenda wireless adapter. Again Xbian and OpenElec tried with no change in results.
    (3) Tried 1 & 2 above with the 256mb to satisfy myself I didn't have a dodgy board.

I should state at this point I have the correct PSU!

(4) I put the Superhub in modem only mode and connected a DLink DIR-615 running DD-WRT to manage the routing/wifi. Repeated 1 & 2 above - no change!

This is driving me around the bend. TVCatchup is particularly annoying as it plays a channel in good quality for about 10 seconds and then just returns to the EPG. I'm installing the addon using their repo. Sometimes it doesn't play a channel at all - just tells me to try again later. I can't get a single video to play from iPlayer or 4OD.

So as a final test I downloaded a random AVI file of a TV series, put it in a shared folder on my Laptop and added the SMB share on XBMC. The video streamed wirelessly without any issues to the RPI.

My conclusion is therefore that my LAN is streaming fine, the RPI can play video fine in principle. For some reason it is WAN streaming is just cannot handle.

In a desperate last attempt I ensured the firewalls were disabled in the Superhub and Dlink but no luck.

Is this likely to be a router problem?

My broadband easily downloads @ the full 30mb when I run speedtests, so I don't think it's my connection speed. As far as I know, I don't need to forward ports for XBMC streaming?

As an aside, I can play TVCatchup etc from the websites via my Win laptop anywhere in the house flawlessly.

Help!!

2. Mark142

Mark142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I had the raspberry Pi using Openelec and it streamed fine, this was though homeplugs and not direct ethernet. I did not use Wifi so cant comment on that. Have you got the latest builds of both Openelec and Xbian? Have you tried using Raspbmc.

I upgraded them for a dedicated server but I recommend them to friends and family and have set up about 4 recently all using Openelec without issues.

I know you said its not but it does sound like your PSU. Do you have the details of what PSU you are using.

3. Smallclone

Smallclone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I use mine with a homeplug. Virgin Media superhub 30MB (modem mode). I have Raspbmc running from both an SD Card and a USB drive. seems to speed up the menus. Confluence raspbmc mod skin.

All files work well from NAS Drive.

TVCatchup works flawlessly.

4. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I've got 2 PSUs. One is 5V 1A and the other is 5V 1.2A - my understanding is that they should both be more than sufficient. I don't have any USB devices plugged in (except the wifi adapters when testing with those) as i'm using an iPad app to control.

I will give raspbmc a shot I think - nothing to lose.

Would the speed of the SD card affect internet streaming performance? If that was an issue wouldn't it affect LAN streaming as well?

5. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    There is no power supply that you can buy that will 100% work, you need to measure the voltage across Tp1 anTp2 when the pi is under load (scrapping movies). I have had a 5V 3A brick power supply that measured 4.68V across tp1 and tp2. Another thing to look out for is the voltage drop across the fuse, I had 1 pi with a 0.4V drop across the fuse, so I soldered a link across it to bypass it.

6. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    That sounds way over my head :hiya:

Is it really worth trying out another power supply? I mean - if LAN streaming works would that no rule out the PSU? I'm not saying ... more asking.

7. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Do you have a multimeter? or know someone that has one? If so you can quickly check the voltage, Im not saying this is the problem but its always the best place to start.

The other thing it could be as your streaming over LAN ok is you can adjust the advancedsettings.xml file to have different cache sizes but ive never had to do this yet.

Just a quick question do you have any overclocking on your PI's this would most certainly help if you do not!

8. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    No multimeter.

I've not overclocked them - so they are "standard". I have genuine apple iphone and ipad chargers ... so I may try those out to see if power supply is an issue.

What about the speed of the SD card - would this cause issues with streaming speed? Speed of browsing XBMC menu's is generally fine (unless it's fetching the content of large repo's - but thats to be expected).

9. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    You need to look at overclocking, What version are you using of XBMC? If your unsure how to overclock, I would try running RASPBMC. They have under programs on the main screen RASPBMC Settings, in there you can just select the level of overclocking you require so if I was you I would try the SUPER setting this wil overclock the pi nicely and you may see some significant inprovments

10. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    OK thanks. Am going to give Raspbmc a shot tonight anyway ... so will do that at the same time. Fingers crossed that, along with the apple PSU, I may see some success!

For the second one I am going to setup in the bedroom (away from the router) I think I'll invest in Homeplugs to avoid battling with Wifi.

11. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Probably best to stay away from WIFI, I find overclocking makes it a much smoother ecperience and it also speeds up the network performance maybe it will solve your problem.

Also next time your out and see a cheap multimeter get one there always useful to have even if you just use it to check batteries!!! There ideal to check the Pi's power supply

12. Mark142

Mark142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  13. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Maybe that's my problem. I have 5V PSUs at the moment as I was under the impression that was the requirement. But the modmypi one and one at pi-supply.com are both 5.25V. Hmm.

14. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I'm actually using a 9v power supply with a stepdown module. It allows me to adjust the output so I measure across tp1 and tp2 and turn the output up or down so I get 5v at the pi.

15. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    These are OpenElec overclocking settings, so depending how much you clock you made need a 6v capable PSU.

I stream fine but its wired with medium overclocking from below.

# Overclock mode settings.
    #
    # default recommended values are: arm_freq | core_freq | sdram_freq | over_voltage
    # no overclocking : 700 | 250 | 400 | 0
    # mode 'Modest' : 800 | 300 | 400 | 0
    # mode 'Medium' : 900 | 333 | 450 | 2
    # mode 'High' : 950 | 450 | 450 | 6
    # mode 'Turbo' : 1000 | 500 | 500 | 6

16. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    What are the pros/cons of overclocking beyond Medium?

I won't be streaming high def files - only AVIs and obviously internet streaming. Is a 5.25V adapter OK for Medium or High?

17. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Higher clocking make the menu system much smoother, im clocking above the reconmended clock levels and forcing overclock all the time (which voids my warrenty) and im using a 5V power supply.

18. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Overclocking is supported by RPi within your warranty but not all settings. Medium just made some HD movies work much better (no buffering) on OE, medium worked without going to hard.

19. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    goujam - thank you SO much for the advice. I found a 16GB SD card in a draw which is faster than the 2GB card. So I did a fresh install of Raspbmc on it and then set the overclocking to "Fast" (haven't tried Super yet!).

Installed TVCatchup and it's streaming flawlessly so far! :)

I was so close to just giving up ... so thanks for the excellent advice. I think I'll still replace the PSU with a slightly higher voltage one so I can o/c to the next level. But for now - it's working.

20. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Nice one I'm messing around with skins on mine I'm trying amber and confluence modified. Confluence modified is good to try !

21. TUSSFC

TUSSFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I like a simplified customisation of Transparency. I don't like too many menus - just movies/tv shows/favourites (which links to all addons). Runs fairly quick.

22. goujam

goujam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I may have to try that one. Amber is good as you can easily add and remove what you have in your menus