Rare/deleted dvds

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by soup nazi, Dec 29, 2006.

1. soup nazi

soup nazi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What other dvds(not tin/collector sets)are now rare/deleted and worth more money?

Death Wish 2 on amazon goes from £30 up to £80.

any others?

2. Pincho Paxton

Pincho Paxton
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I have a lot of rare VHS titles, and they are pretty worthless now. If you are thinking of buying collectors DVD's make sure you get bargains, because with HD currently becoming mainstream, your DVD collection will soon be worthless as well.

3. JP73

JP73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    don't rely too much on the likes of amazon marketplace as a guage of something's value. Some of the crazy prices there bear absolutely no relation to reality. The example you gave is deleted on R2 but still available on R1 for 11 quid.

I have sold a couple of rare-ish titles on Ebay in the past...Threads and Condorman both went for more than £50 each at the time. Both of which can be now picked up for a couple of quid. Moral of the story...if you are looking to make a bit of money, get rid of your rare titles asap...everything gets rereleased!

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Hi Def DVD formats are not "...currently becoming mainstream..." and indeed are a long way from becoming "mainstream", if they ever do. Just look at Hi Def audio. CD still reigns supreme and DVD-A and SACD are now virtually non-existant.

If you have some of the earlier Criterion Collection titles they usually fetch a tidy sum.

5. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Arguably, the most expensive/rarest title is the Criterion version of "Salo" - however, as I mentioned in a podcast a few weeks ago, those who have this title should get ready to weep as a new Criterion edition (with apparently a better transfer) is about to hit the shelves in 2007 (probably the first half of).

I'm sure there's been a thread about it elsewhere as well - but my rare stuff is the Jurassic Park Superbit and the recalled version of Little Shop of Horrors to name 2.

6. Thekop

Thekop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I've never seen Breakdance or Breakdance 2 on DVD, and indeed even the soundtracks on CD... ~ ducks for cover ! :D

I've never seen Damnation Ally on DVD either, i enjoyed that film :)

YAY to my 1000th post ! :clap: :hiya:

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Really? This is good news, as the R2 BFI release is non-anamorphic and quite grainy. Will look forward to this as I have a few of the newly remastered versions of the early Criterions. Recently watched their new version of Amarcord - a huge improvement in PQ over the original release.

8. beginner

beginner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some Disney dvd's fetch quite a bit these days Snow White and Beauty and the Beast go for around about £60+ these days

9. neuty

neuty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    thekop
    i have both of the breakdance films on dvd ,they have been out a couple of years now.

you can still get them from play usa for £8.99 each but they are called "breakin".hope this helps

neuty

the rarest dvd i own is probably blade dts jap r2,thats it.
    :)

10. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I used to own Salo, sold it for about £350 on ebay.

Also Seven Samurai, Flesh for Frankenstein, M, The 400 Blows, This is Spinal Tap all on Criterion and all worth good money.

11. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    Really? I had the former up for sale in R2 flavour on the DVD classifieds for £30 and couldn't seem to give it away!!

I've got all the Disney "platinum" releases - including Sleeping Beauty- might well be time to actually start selling stuff on E Bay. Never actually used it before...

12. mongosito

mongosito
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason Death Wish 2 is worth a bit is because the R2 version is butchered and the R1 version is also heavily cut.

The R4 release of the 5 Death Wish films last year (also R2 compatible) in a box set for £20 was shortlived.
    Its deleted and sells for well over £70 on ebay.
    The R4 DW2 is worth getting as its uncut.
    Its on a double bill with the first one.

As 3,4 and 5 are MGM properties either Sony released them by mistake or they licenced them for a very short time

13. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +697
    I've got a Criterion 'Unrated Director's Cut' of Robocop lurking about somewhere, which I quite enjoyed. Also an uncut version of Ichi The Killer which is, to be honest, quite woeful. And a full coloured Jap version of Kill Bill Vol 1. Oh, and an unrated version of Charlie's Angels 2. That's about the extent of my out-of-the-ordinary discs. No idea if any of them are valuable as I have no interest in selling them. I buy DVD's to own and watch, not to speculate on.

Regards

Mark