[RANT] What sort of person loses a remote control?!?

jazzop

Standard Member
Congrats on remembering your username and password after 11 years between this and your last post.
I sincerely apologize for having a life outside of the WorldWideWeb. Would it surprise you to know that I don't have any "social media" accounts or a so-called "smartphone" since the Droid 4 (the last non-Blackberry with a QWERTY keyboard)?
Probably because at the time the remote got separated it wasn't considered to be expensive / rare / whatever.

I have three little drawers in the unit under my TV and I can guarantee there's half a dozen remotes in there for long defunct equipment some of which is probably languishing in a loft "just in case".
The potential value of the remote control to others in the future should be irrelevant to the owner at the time. It's all about maintaining the stuff you own and not being part of what I call the "disposable culture".
I’m not interested in your lack of interest. Goodbye.
And godspeed to you, sir/madam.
some times when you have an old bit of equipment with batteries in and then a few years later open them up the batteries have burst and leaked all over the contacts making them rust and then essentially making the remote useless so they then chuck it away,

another is the rubber pad with the buttons can ware out so the button fallout if they do you cant replace them so thats the remote ruined and in the bin it goes
The first bit only feeds my initial rant, as anyone who loses a remote control is only slightly worse that anyone who doesn't understand the natural death sequence of an alkaline battery-- especially when the remote is intentionally retired from use due to a universal remote. Remove the batteries if you aren't using the thing. I agree with the second bit, as some cheap suppliers/manufacturers put out a product that simply decays. However, I would not bin the whole remote; rather, I would retain it for spare parts in case it were necessary.
Please take care of your remotes, in case some random wants it in thirty years time.
Nope. Take care of your sh*t, because that is what persons of good character do. cf. Aristotle/Nietzsche.

rousetafarian

Would it surprise you to know that I don't have any "social media" accounts or a so-called "smartphone" since the Droid 4 (the last non-Blackberry with a QWERTY keyboard)?
No, not in the slightest.

Maxson

The potential value of the remote control to others in the future should be irrelevant to the owner at the time. It's all about maintaining the stuff you own and not being part of what I call the "disposable culture".
I always try to keep all packaging and accessories together with a view to passing equipment on when I'm finished with it, whether that's for money or just given away. I like to pass things on in the best condition and second hand buyers no doubt love that as they often get items in as new condition despite being used for a few years. I'm definitely unusual so it's not surprising if not everyone takes so much care.
The first bit only feeds my initial rant, as anyone who loses a remote control is only slightly worse that anyone who doesn't understand the natural death sequence of an alkaline battery-- especially when the remote is intentionally retired from use due to a universal remote. Remove the batteries if you aren't using the thing.
I'm well aware of this since my younger days when batteries used to do this more frequently and in the 80s and 90s it was common for me and my brother to be asked to repair broken remotes etc. for relatives and friends of the family by removing the batteries, cleaning, bending and sometimes soldering the contacts. Despite this it still catches me out sometimes.
I agree with the second bit, as some cheap suppliers/manufacturers put out a product that simply decays. However, I would not bin the whole remote; rather, I would retain it for spare parts in case it were necessary.
A working remote and accessories with a used item should be a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation. Many remotes from reputable manufacturers seem to be designed as disposable which is disappointing to say the least when they charge so much for a replacement. Plan accordingly.

Desmo

Distinguished Member
anyone who loses a remote control is only slightly worse that anyone who doesn't understand the natural death sequence of an alkaline battery
You need help :rotfl:

Graham27

I have some old consoles and gadgets in storage boxes. The controllers and remotes for them are scattered about in different boxes. I imagine most still have batteries in them.

I like to live life on the edge.

nvingo

Distinguished Member
A working remote and accessories with a used item should be a pleasant surprise rather than an expectation.
Not when the remote forms an integral part of the setup and operation of that item.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Not when the remote forms an integral part of the setup and operation of that item.
Yeah, but remember when TV remotes had 4 buttons? Channel up and down and volume up and down. :D anything else, you had to use the buttons on the TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom