[RANT] What sort of person loses a remote control?!?

jazzop

Standard Member
Caveat: The title of this post is a rhetorical question. I am not interested in reading excuses as to why you/your pet/your offspring "lost" the remote control for your A/V equipment. I am more interested in allowing those who keep track of their own possessions to rant about those who don't.

I collect vintage A/V equipment, particularly those involving orphaned/obsolete media formats (e.g., Betamax, CED, Minidisc, quad 8-track, etc.) I am SO frustrated after wasting my time yet again looking at an eBay email notification for a specific device that does not include the remote control. This is a device for which I have passively searched for over a decade, and every time I find one it lacks the remote control. A few years ago, out of curiosity, I created a separate search just for the remote control, and I only get a hit once every couple of years; and the price is usually equal to the main device itself. I simply do not understand what is wrong with the mental state of a human who owns an expensive piece of equipment and can't keep track of the remote control, which may be essential to accessing the full set of functions of said equipment. My Freudian nature has an obvious classification for these scatterbrained idiots: anal expulsives.

Does anyone else feel my pain?

rousetafarian

Congrats on remembering your username and password after 11 years between this and your last post.

mh123

an expensive piece of equipment

Probably because at the time the remote got separated it wasn't considered to be expensive / rare / whatever.

I have three little drawers in the unit under my TV and I can guarantee there's half a dozen remotes in there for long defunct equipment some of which is probably languishing in a loft "just in case".

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
I have a friend who is a television broadcast engineer and around 20 or so years ago and I had another friend who was notoriously cheap and a tad hot headed who hated buying anything at full price who acquired online a half decent AV amp (Think it was Denon or possibly a Marantz?) at a knockdown price and wanted it set-up in his front room. So my tech savvy mate went to his house, for free, and spent a good hour bi-wiring up his speakers, routing the cables so they were nice and tidy etc, positioned the speakers etc explaining the vast improvement in sound quality with DVD's he's going to experience with this new Dolby Digital amp compared to his old Pro Logic one and how good his new amp was with lots of great reviews etc.
Now it came time to set up the amp and he asked my friend to pass him the remote control. My mate told him he hasn't got the remote as it didn't come with the amp, hence the cheap price. When he was told that they needed the remote to set the amp up my mate apparently stood there with a blank face. "Well just do it on the amps panel" was his reply. When he was told it was nigh impossible to do the full setup without the amps remote my cheapskate mate stood there again looking a bit baffled. A few seconds later once the bad news finally clicked in his brain he went ballistic, stomping around the front room kicking at the sofa, knocking glasses off the table like a big kid throwing a massive wobbly and was nearly in tears. When I heard this story I had a good old laugh. Always make sure you have the remote :)

Last edited:

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
Caveat: The title of this post is a rhetorical question. I am not interested in reading excuses as to why you/your pet/your offspring "lost" the remote control for your A/V equipment. I am more interested in allowing those who keep track of their own possessions to rant about those who don't.

I collect vintage A/V equipment, particularly those involving orphaned/obsolete media formats (e.g., Betamax, CED, Minidisc, quad 8-track, etc.) I am SO frustrated after wasting my time yet again looking at an eBay email notification for a specific device that does not include the remote control. This is a device for which I have passively searched for over a decade, and every time I find one it lacks the remote control. A few years ago, out of curiosity, I created a separate search just for the remote control, and I only get a hit once every couple of years; and the price is usually equal to the main device itself. I simply do not understand what is wrong with the mental state of a human who owns an expensive piece of equipment and can't keep track of the remote control, which may be essential to accessing the full set of functions of said equipment. My Freudian nature has an obvious classification for these scatterbrained idiots: anal expulsives.

Is this Dan K? I had a mate who sounds just like this. Chill mate, there's worse things in this life 😁

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
Probably because at the time the remote got separated it wasn't considered to be expensive / rare / whatever.

I have three little drawers in the unit under my TV and I can guarantee there's half a dozen remotes in there for long defunct equipment some of which is probably languishing in a loft "just in case".
Exactly that.

maybe I should clear my loft and start selling my collection of vintage remotes 🤣

RebelScum

I’m not interested in your lack of interest. Goodbye.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
some times when you have an old bit of equipment with batteries in and then a few years later open them up the batteries have burst and leaked all over the contacts making them rust and then essentially making the remote useless so they then chuck it away,

another is the rubber pad with the buttons can ware out so the button fallout if they do you cant replace them so thats the remote ruined and in the bin it goes

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Congrats on remembering your username and password after 11 years between this and your last post.
Hopefully we get to wait another 11 years for the next thrilling instalment.

Maxson

some times when you have an old bit of equipment with batteries in and then a few years later open them up the batteries have burst and leaked all over the contacts making them rust and then essentially making the remote useless so they then chuck it away,

another is the rubber pad with the buttons can ware out so the button fallout if they do you cant replace them so thats the remote ruined and in the bin it goes
This. Often it's the remote that fails before the device and then you can't get a new remote so the device goes unused for a time and then maybe some attempt to sell it. Our youview box has been through at least 3 remotes maybe more in it's first 3 years. This is the sort of thing that universal remotes can be used for though.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I lost my remotes a couple of years ago - everyone swore blind they didn't know where they were.

The next week SWMBO found them in their tent in France - they had been accidentally packed with the holiday equipment.

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
This. Often it's the remote that fails before the device and then you can't get a new remote so the device goes unused for a time and then maybe some attempt to sell it. Our youview box has been through at least 3 remotes maybe more in it's first 3 years. This is the sort of thing that universal remotes can be used for though.
It was all good until Logitech stopped Harmony :( Now those vintage remotes are worth their weight in Bitcoin :) he say whilst cleaning up the contacts from battery acid 🤣

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
It was all good until Logitech stopped Harmony :( Now those vintage remotes are worth their weight in Bitcoin :) he say whilst cleaning up the contacts from battery acid 🤣

I have the Harmony One remote and it still works. I even updated it and added a new device to it yesterday using the Harmony app on my PC?

Bl4ckGryph0n

Distinguished Member
I have the Harmony One remote and it still works. I even updated it and added a new device to it yesterday using the Harmony app on my PC?
True, as long as they keep working they keep working. But there will come a time they switch off the servers, or that the remote fails. I love them, I've bought many over the years, but sadly we know that it will stop.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
I lost my remotes a couple of years ago - everyone swore blind they didn't know where they were.

The next week SWMBO found them in their tent in France - they had been accidentally packed with the holiday equipment.

Proof

1629722467054.png

myss

Unfortunately illness can be a reason for this. I was round my Dad's place helping him get about, went to turn over the TV, could not find the remote, called one of my siblings who had been there the previous day, no idea either.

Dad went to lie down upstairs, I went to clean up the kitchen, lo and behold found it in the bin. Dad had dementia, bless him :)

Let me guess

Nope, although from the importance you place on them I'd be concerned you''d eventually find the thing only to realise that your quest for it was the only thing that gave your life purpose...

Please take care of your remotes, in case some random wants it in thirty years time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Google launches Pixel 6 and 6 Pro smartphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony announces two new 3LCD laser projectors
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark Audio R5 is Made In England collection launch product
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Apple unveils MacBook Pros for 2021