RANT WARNING: Business milage - motorbike v push bike

Monty Burns

What the hell do HMRC think motorbikes run on? Thin AIR?

Car Allowance: 40 pence per mile for the first 10,000 miles, 25 pence per mile thereafter
Motorcycle Allowance: 24 pence per mile
Bicycle Allowance: 20 pence per mile
Why do push bikes get to claim any miles? Surley they should just expense the purchase cost of the bike and no more.

Oh wait, encourage people to go green right? Cool! Then why penalise motorbikes!? Or should we all buy cars and sit in huge traffic jams!? Or lets see us get round the m25 on our pushbikes.

I can see why you need a diferent band for motorbikes v cars but how the hell can it only cost 4PENCE more to run a MB than a PB, do PB's need insurance? Nope. Do they need tax? Nope. Do they need MOT's? Nope. Do they need new tyres every year? Unlikely! Do you need a license for a PB? Nope. Do they need petrol? Nope.

HMRC - get a REALITY check

(rant over - please someone tell me this banding info is wrong/out of date.... please!!!)

clockworks

Novice Member
The push bike allowance is basically a bribe to get people to use them - no emissions, takes less space on the road, and cyclist gets fit at the same time.

Motorbikes take less space on the road, but how much cleaner is a 'bike than a car? Small 2-strokes use less fuel, but I bet they aren't that clean. Big 'bikes aren't much more economical than a small car.

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Don't know what your complaining

In the 19 years I've worked in the civil service i don't know of anyone who has claimed for push bike allowance for business use (cycling to and from home does not count)

Monty Burns

The push bike allowance is basically a bribe to get people to use them - no emissions, takes less space on the road, and cyclist gets fit at the same time.

Motorbikes take less space on the road, but how much cleaner is a 'bike than a car? Small 2-strokes use less fuel, but I bet they aren't that clean. Big 'bikes aren't much more economical than a small car.
Your right, in fact my bike only does about 20-25 in traffic which is awefull. But your argument is where tax comes from not expenses. This isn't about a car to motorbike, as I said, I fully understand there is a diference... this is about push bikes.

If you'd really like to argue the emmisions case (which is irrelevant as thats what tax is for) then I argue that I pump out far less emmisions in 30 minutes shooting through traffic, than the four wheel variety that takes an 90 minutes doing the same route ... in traffic.

Don't know what your complaining

In the 19 years I've worked in the civil service i don't know of anyone who has claimed for push bike allowance for business use (cycling to and from home does not count)

the VERY principle of it. And yes, i know its not home to work to home - its an out of the ordinary cost. 20p a mile for something that has no running costs? Compare that to something that costs me £300 a month running costs. Disgusting. Im no exception on the costs. Even a FREE motorbike still has depreciation, tax, mot, insurance, maintanance......

And, i'd put a lot of money on the fact that people don't realise they can claim for push bikes.

clockworks

Novice Member
Remember that these are tax allowances that you're quoting, not expenses.

Your employer will set the mileage rate for casual business mileage - they can pay you as much or as little as they like.
If they they pay you more than the HMRC figure, you are liable to pay tax on the excess.

Many companies choose to pay casual mileage rates based on the HMRC allowance, as it keeps things simple for the employee.

Just to rile you even more, did you know that it's also possible to get tax relief on the purchase of a push bike? My employer offers this - AFAIK, you set aside part of your salary to purchase a bike using payroll deduction, and you don't pay tax on it. Works the same way as the old "PC purchase" scheme used to.

Monty Burns

good job im doing my car license coz im gona start driving a car to work.:mad:

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Compare that to something that costs me £300 a month running costs. Disgusting. Im no exception on the costs. Even a FREE motorbike still has depreciation, tax, mot, insurance, maintanance......
That's your choice

if you don't like it don't own a motorbike but don't take it out on others

Monty Burns

wow ... point .... missed. Is that concord?

Didn't realise you rode a bike to your client sites and claimed. Sorry if I offended you.

btw, did you not see the "RANT WARNING" at the start?

IronGiant

I got the point Monty :) It does seem rather bizarre doesn't it.

Dave

Ian J

Banned
It does seem rather bizarre doesn't it.
It would be bizarre if the idea was to relate the tax allowance to the running costs but it isn't as the idea is supposed to be an incentive to get people off their cars and motorbikes and back onto pushbikes.

It's probably more of a gimmick than anything else as I can't see people claiming that they cycled from their office in Birmingham to visit a client in Leeds

Bilbob

I could actually believe it more as a gimmick if it were balanced, ie, surely if it were for 'enviromental' reasons, then surely the bike should pay more than the car? Running costs are similar, but causes less congestion?

In fact, using my bike for work would actually make me MORE efficient, due to time savings...I've got a decent top box, and can fit the majority of stuff in it I need for most of my day to day work, and getting about the north west as I need to do would be quicker...

The reason for the differential is surely due to the number of people in each camp?

Mind you, I just don't tell 'em when I'm using the bike... they always think I'm in the car... :)

Besides, there's no chance I can get a hard disk from Manchester to North Yorkshire in 3 hours on a push bike....!!

Last edited:

Monty Burns

I could actually believe it more as a gimmick if it were balanced, ie, surely if it were for 'enviromental' reasons, then surely the bike should pay more than the car? Running costs are similar, but causes less congestion?..
Exactly! The "green" angle just doesn't work. Bikes and Motorbikes do not compare and are not used for the same reason. How am I supposed to use a pushbike to commute 50 miles round the m25?:rolleyes:

btw, VED takes into account "green" issues.

It is quite simple as stated before the HMRC rates do not relate to expenses they relate to allowances. Huge difference. The system prior to the current was based upon engine capacity and much closer to expenses.

Actual costs have nothing to do it...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom