1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant alert!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by spocktra, Jan 12, 2005.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I have never had myself or know anyone that hasnt had a tv set last less than five years.My last tv was a 24" 16:9 sony.six years old ,hasnt missed a beat,still a perfect picture.So why did i decide to change?.I really wish i hadnt but wanted a bigger screen.First off was a pd30 panny which was practically unwatchable on sky[dvd was amazing].That was exchanged for a toshiba 32zp48.I love the set but for the last week its been popping then the picture goes for a second or two then the sound goes off.Resetting cures but i am not happy.I really do think that companys are spending too much on technology[mainly digital processing] to outdo each other ,rather than quality control.I dont think many of todays tvs will last as they did five or ten years ago.I shall phone the supplier then toshiba tomorrow and see what they say.Sorry for the long moan but my wife wont listen!!!!!!!!

2. iansums

iansums

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I agree. I bought a £900 Bosch washer / dryer (wrong forum, I know) thinking I was buying a top quality, reliable product. The motor burnt out after only 3 years costing £200 to repair. I could have spent half that amount of money on a cheaper one and got better reliability.

I am considering the Tosh ZP48 either 32" or 36". What do you think of the PQ with Sky? I've seen the set with DVD and it is excellent but 90% of the time I watch Sky and I want to make sure I get a good picture from that.

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Spoktra, If my memory serves me corectly in the past you have been very pleased with this set and I am sorry to learn that you have had a few problems with it. I like this model very much - I always recommend it on this forum (as 'Tight Git' will testify !). Obviously now your tv has developed a problem and naturally you are unhappy. These things do happen but I know that's not what you want to hear. On a practical front is there any reason why you want to contact Toshiba directly ? I assume your set is still well inside warranty and I would have thought you might have contacted your retailer in the first instance ? If you decide to contact Toshiba directly than please don't be surprised if they refer you back to the retailer - this is common practice and is perfectly legitimate - that is who your contract is with. I must say in my dealings with them Toshiba have been superb and I am certain they will do everything in their power to rectify your situation. Remember, when you first got the set you were probably 'over the moon' with the quality and if all parties can get you back to that situation then I'm sure you'll be as 'pleased and punch' again. I think if you look back through the forum the ratio of good to bad postings on this model is overwhemingly 'good' - I hope you'll soon be posting something positve. Please keep us informed. Regards, yt.

4. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yes i am going to phone the retailer today,hopefully they can sort the problem without having to change the tv.I still rate the tosh over anything i have seen other than a smaller 50htz set.Hopefully the fault can be found easily as it only happens intermittently.

5. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    With sky it really depends what program you are watching.90% of the time its excellent but some older promgrams look a bit poor.You wont find a more nuetral 100htz set with so many features, component input,built in surround,etc.Is still think the tosh is one of the best bargains out there.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    (Thanks for the plug, Red! :laugh: )

Spocktra,

Alas, it's the way of the world.

Consumer demand has driven prices for electrical items down to unbelieveable levels, and so quality has to suffer.

It's easy to find examples of TV's and VCR's from the 1980's that are still going strong.

But look at what they cost then, compared to today!

7. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Could the problem be assembling the sets here in the uk.It happens in the car market.When a firm builds a factory in the uk rather than germany or japan then the quality control always suffers.Just a thought?!

8. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A lot of UK car factories are VERY good-BETTER than the ones in Japan.I've had a Welsh assembled FS76U(well,THREE of them) all failed,i'm now on a Spanish assembled HQ100.........well,number SIX is coming soon. QC is VERY poor on a lot things these day's.

9. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    If you have purchased a Sony TV in the UKin the past 5 years or so, they are usually all spanish made (CRT may be made in Wales, but set up in TV and QC is Spain). Same goes that if purchased in Europe they are made in Wales.

10. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    HQ100 is assembled in Spain,the tube is from the USA without doubt.The FS76U had assembled in UK on the back,don't know about the tube on that one though.

11. PeaJay

PeaJay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    :eek: no your wrong - as many car workers will point out.

Toyota make cars here and ship them back to Japan
    Honda also make cars here
    we have some of the best, most efficient car manufactures in the world - they may no longer be British car companies, but it is still British people doing the building.

12. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Sorry, but I doubt that very much. Sony Europe have 2 of the biggest CRT and TV plants in the world. It would be mental (and expensive) to get them in from the US.

13. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry but i can't see why Sony would have a sticker saying "made in the USA" on the CRT if it wasn't!! i saw the sticker myself when the cover was off.............

14. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    was the set imported from somewhere?

15. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Phoned the retailer this morning and they are sending an engineer to check the problem out.Hope they can sort it ,i really like my tv but if it cant be fixed i can feel a refund coming my way.

16. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No,it was a UK model direct from Sony UK! I remember the tube that was in my FS76U was made in japan.

17. RedRasper

RedRasper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi DRGL

Just wondering if you'd been give a date for an engineer yet?

It seems to happen to more (after some investigation) when using the dvd player (sd340). I currently have it connect via the optical digital in and ext 2 on scart. (Have jsut ordered a component cable off mark, so maybe that might fix that particular problem!)

Chris

18. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, ten years ago a Toshiba 3339DB, which was a 50Hz prologic set cost about £1,400. I got the smaller 29" and that cost a whisker under a grand. Both these sets were 4x3. Today you can get a Toshiba 28" 4x3, admittedly NICAM only, for under £200 and there's no way that saving came from taking out the prologic module and speakers!

When the first widescreeens came out they were also very expensive - I'm sure I remember a price tag of £2,000 for the first 32" ones. Now you can get a basic one for around £300 and even the most feature laden ones like the 32ZPand Panny's PD30 are a grand or less.

But are the TV's better?? Well, tehnologically that's an unquestionable yes. A 36" tube was unthinkable because of the sheer size and weight of the thing, but it's been done and Loewe even make a 40" CRT TV, though I do not know who makes that tube or, more importantly, if it's actually any good. But I think quality has suffered across all the main brands. Because of the pressure on prices something has to give, and it will mean that more defects such as convergence, geometry or purity (dirty screen) will have wider tolerances than they did ten years ago. Screening these defects out costs money and if the price pressure is downards companies have to do something to ensure the bottom line is still positive. You do get what you pay for, and if you're paying less it's increasingly likely that the set will carry more defects.