Ranking up second Toon Help

Agrav8er

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Grinding through the story again :( any tips for making it as quick as possible:)

Link bounties with story missions to boost xp and leave gear in the vault from your main character

Link bounties with story missions to boost xp and leave gear in the vault from your main character

Have always broken down gear instead of storing in the vault :( Will have a look at bounties!

Just take the time to look at the blue and green weapons your main collects from drops before you smash em. also can you buy weapons from the armourer with your main and leave them for your alt?

Just do as many bounties as you can. I would log on and do bounties and a couple of story missions on hard. To me 7 game hours to Level an alt.

As people are saying, bounties / public events will level you quickest. A few story missions thrown in will do it and always do them on as hard a setting as you can manage. I levelled my Alt up by only doing 3 missions on earth then just patrolling and doing strikes etc when available. By doing the various story missions via dailies and weeklies, I've got all locations open without actually playing the standard story mode any more than my initial 3 goes on Earth!

Forgive my ignorance, but by an alt do people mean a 2nd character of the same class as opposed to a different second character?

I have been thinking about starting a 2nd character and was toying with the idea of a titan as the bubble seems especially useful. The prospect of grinding it up to level 28+ was putting me off though.

Then I had a thought last night, can I start a 2nd Hunter character, then once he/she reaches level 20 I can just vault my upgraded armour from Hunter No.1 to go straight to level 29? Thus giving me 2 attempts per week at getting raid gear, would that work?

Forgive my ignorance, but by an alt do people mean a 2nd character of the same class as opposed to a different second character?

I have been thinking about starting a 2nd character and was toying with the idea of a titan as the bubble seems especially useful. The prospect of grinding it up to level 28+ was putting me off though.

Then I had a thought last night, can I start a 2nd Hunter character, then once he/she reaches level 20 I can just vault my upgraded armour from Hunter No.1 to go straight to level 29? Thus giving me 2 attempts per week at getting raid gear, would that work?
Yes it would. I didn't go this route though, I prefer to have the variety.

If you bank any legendary armour engrams you get and buy an exotic helm from Xur, you only really have to get your toon to lvl 20, and that should only take 7 or 8 hours. Once you hit lvl 20 equip your legendary and exotics and you should jump straight to about lvl24/25. Get that upgraded and you'll be lvl29.

Having two different classes gives your raid teams more flexibility.

That'll work fine many here already do that.

An alt is just an alternate character. Doesn't matter if it's the same class or not.

My idea (although late to the party:) ) is to rank up a second character (Titan) so to be able to Raid more than once a week and double the chances of getting raid armour

Yes, I made a 2nd Titan and did/do this.

EDIT: beaten to it

Yeah I would def prefer a Titan as I feel like there are loads of Hunters and the specials aren't as useful as the bubble.

My thinking was not so much around the faster leveling up, but that I would get 2 attempts a week at getting the raid armour I want which can then be vaulted and donated to my primary.

Whereas presumably if I had a Titan secondary they would get different raid armour and I would still up having 1 attempt per week at the armour I need but just twice (2 characters).

Or to play the pessimist, I give myself an extra way to not get the loot I want/need each week!

Anyway thanks all.

I have got 3 character all 29. I have put tonnes of time into my first character and was smashing legendary armour for other classes and eventually thought I would put some in vault in case I made an alt. Then I did one and really enjoyed doing the story again - it seemed to make more sense and have more meaning 2nd time, but then that is not for most I know. My final alt was purely bounties on earth. But then that stopped me doing bounties on planets not opened up, so I did more story there too.

Buy everything you can from XUR, including the random engram and once you get to level 16 you should have the Strangers Rifle waiting (if not re-do the final mission with you main and I think you get another one). Then cruise to 20 and you should have enough gear to jump a few levels quickly. the weeklies, dailies and nightfall provide the rest.

Personally I would not be able to play 2 characters of the same class - it would frustrate and bore me, but technically it does give you the best chances of getting the gear.

Having the 3 characters is much more fun and teaches you more about those classes.

I have started enjoying one of my alts more than my main now.... each class is very different, so you may find you do too.

If anybody sees me doing a mission story or bounty feel free to jump in and help out! Much appreciated! :)

If anybody sees me doing a mission story or bounty feel free to jump in and help out! Much appreciated! :)
I've got a level 7 Warlock that I'm planning on levelling up tonight. I've got as far as finishing all of the Earth story missions. Going to start on the Moon at about 8pm. If you want, we can do some co-op levelling.

I had 3 Titans now have one of each and am loving the varity and deffo a must if ya sub as they can pick which Guardian they want ya to bring. just make sure you finish the story as you wont be able to do all bounties till all planets unlocked

Right, I think I am going to start a 2nd Hunter tonight to quickly get up to level 20 and double my chances of raid gear etc next week. Can then stockpile/vault hopefully some legendary/exotic armour for a titan which I'll start the next week or whenever the alt is leveled up, as then I will only use for 2nd raid/nightfall runs.

@Agrav8er , @DroidSkin , would also be up for some co-op low level leveling up action.

Also, thinking could one person sign in as their main, team up with the 2 low level alts and then effectively solo the daily 28 level mission with the other 2 hiding/sniping at the back. Can you do that? Would it give a better XP return than say, 3 level 6's grinding through a level 8+ story mission?

Might be a bit dull but am up for blasting through levels as quick as possible.

Right, I think I am going to start a 2nd Hunter tonight to quickly get up to level 20 and double my chances of raid gear etc next week. Can then stockpile/vault hopefully some legendary/exotic armour for a titan which I'll start the next week or whenever the alt is leveled up, as then I will only use for 2nd raid/nightfall runs.

@Agrav8er , @DroidSkin , would also be up for some co-op low level leveling up action.

Also, thinking could one person sign in as their main, team up with the 2 low level alts and then effectively solo the daily 28 level mission with the other 2 hiding/sniping at the back. Can you do that? Would it give a better XP return than say, 3 level 6's grinding through a level 8+ story mission?

Low level toons won't be allowed to do the lvl28. I think you can go 2 levels above your current level.

I found that as I know the best way to do the missions now, having a lower level toon isn't such a grind as it was first time round.

Doing the bounties and getting in on the public events is still the fastest way to level. I'll only being doing the missions to open up the other planets for bounties.

The main character would be fudged to the damage levels of the low level toons, IIRC mate. Wouldn't work.

Well if you wanting to do bounties with your alt its best to open up all the patrols on the planets or you will have to rely on your mates to take you there.

Ah right, seemed too easy and obvious to work. I knew you couldn't go more than 2 above normally but didn't know how it worked if the fireteam leader was of the right level or you just joined their game.

Guess I'll just have to buy some decent (level appropriate;)) weapons and leave them in the vault then.

Try not to do story missions.

I'll explain more later

Ok. The best way to level is:

Weapons and armor: save all your blue engrams from your main. Use one every couple levels for each slot so you're constantly using OP gear for your level.

Exp: Do bounties every day (that you can at your level) and daily events. Try to avoid a lot of story missions. Do the bare minimum to get to the next planet for patrols. Do lots of patrols, bounties, daily events.

Then when you get to lvl 20 you should (hopefully have saved enough legendary gear earned from your main via engrams for your alt) jump up to 24 or 25 pretty easily and use weapons from your main.

Then when you want to level a weapon quickly, jump on your alt and do a story mission on the hardest setting you can solo and some bounties as well. The bonus exp for completing the story alone should get you a perk or damage upgrade or very close to it. That's why you should wait to do a lot of the story missions. It's what I do.

If you're lacking engrams, do the tiger playlist and you'll soon have more than enough to keep your toon decked out for a few levels. Get him a heavy weapon engram as soon as possible too. That will make the leveling up a breeze.

FYI, I did a story mission last night on one of my toons at lvl 28 hard which gave me like 6400 or 6800 bonus exp whereas the normal lvl it was only like 3k bonus exp. Got 1.5 unlocks on my raid chest doing that and a bounty together.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom