1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

range of wireless keyboard/mouse?

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by richard plumb, Sep 27, 2004.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    going to get a new desktop PC to put in the soon-to-be-converted garage, and plan to use it as a server for multiroom music in conjunction with xbox and perhaps xlobby or creative wireless music solution.

Anyhoo, I'd also like to use it as our main PC in the house, and relegate our laptop to occasional browsing/email. But it has to be discreet, as its also our spare room. So I'm thinking wireless keyboard/mouse, and PC in a cupboard

But the ones I've seen in PC world etc seem to only have a range of about 6 feet, which seems pointless, when cables are longer than that?

So can anyone recommend good wireless keyboard mouse with at least 2-3m range? Ideally with good battery life and not too expensive, but lets start with range.

cheers!

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I did have the Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse, but having just moved to a house with a bigger lounge and I found it wouldn't work much beyond 2.5-3m.

I've just upgraded to the Logitech Bluetooth Wireless Desktop. I've tried it up to about 5m away and its fine. Can't say I've tried beyond that

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This Gyration kit claims to have a range of 7.6m. Not cheap but the range is by far the longest reach I've seen.

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I've got the Gyration keyboard/mouse here.....very good all round,incl.build quality,and range is easily 4-5m+ in my room.
    Battery life for the keyboard is several months with light use,and mouse is rechargeable.

5. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Ditto for the Gyration. Works well from one room to another. Keyboard battery never been changed after 9 months, mouse needs regular recharging on its stand though. Great bit of kit.

HTH

Dave

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I should have added, I have one and think it's excellent for an HTPC, though as pointed out in another thread it's not very good for gaming if that matters to you.

Now, if we could only get a wireless DVI connection :D ... er, but that's another thread. ;)

7. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Use the Logitech Di Novo suite of bluetooth mouse, keyboard and media pad. Absolutely superb. Great battery life, and works absolutely fine for games. Expensive, but it's fanstastic. Should be able to get a minimum of 10 metres distance between the hub unit it comes with, and the keyboard etc.

8. darenc1967

darenc1967
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the Di-Novo kit a few weeks back excelent piece of kit. Bit of a pain to get installed as I was already running XP SP2 and this has updated bluetooth support. But is great now that it is set up.

Get a standard price from Scan or Microdirect then get a price promise from PCWorld. They match at 110% of the difference and they sell these at 200 quid so you get 66 ish quid off the 200 giving you the cheapest price in the UK for this combo.