Range Of High Def Dvd Players

R

robborobbo

Guest
Where could I find online a full range of high def dvd players (multiregion)

Thanks
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
HiDef players aren't available yet.

There are a range of upscaling players who splash HD on the box to try to fool you into believing you are actually getting some more definition for your money when in fact all they are doing is shifting the scaling work from the display to the player itself.

That said you may get a better pic, or you may in fact get a worse pic. It all depends on the player / display combination.

Toshiba 350
Samsung 850/950
Denon 1920
Oppo
Momitsu
Panasonic S97

Lots more expensive ones!

A Pioneer 575 for £100 (may be £120 now) will give a lot of these a run for their money via "good old" component.

I have a Samsung HD745 in the classifieds...PJ :)
 
R

robborobbo

Guest
Am I best to just use a component connection on my dvd recorder than buy one of thos "up scaling" models with hdmi
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
robborobbo said:
Am I best to just use a component connection on my dvd recorder than buy one of thos "up scaling" models with hdmi
Well it's a cheap option to give it a try!

Certainly cheaper than spalshing out e.g. £200+ on a Denon 1920 anyway.

If you are unhappy with the results however and feel you could do better then it may be time to gamble....PJ :)
 

JimmytheSaint

Active Member
There are some new dvd players that can stream hi-def 720P and 1080i from your computer (.ts files etc).
The Snazio SZ1350 is one as well as the Buffalo Linkplayer.
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
JimmytheSaint said:
There are some new dvd players that can stream hi-def 720P and 1080i from your computer (.ts files etc).
The Snazio SZ1350 is one as well as the Buffalo Linkplayer.
Well this is true, as well as the JVC one (perhaps others) that can handle WMV-HD files (or whatever they are). But let's face it, all this is a compromise until HD-DVD and Blu-ray arrives and we can really see the state of play. I'm not saying you can't get some impressive results, but I don't really have the time to p1$$ about with it all TBH. I wouldn't have much time to spend on here then...PJ :D
 

JimmytheSaint

Active Member
No, I wouldn't say it's a compromise. A large number of people here have high def (720P and 1080i) films on their computers (also HD Divx) as well as WMV titles. These players can stream this material to your display device (if it can handle high def material). You might be waiting quite sometime for your Blu-Ray and HD-DVD and much longer to get the titles you actually want to see. Secondly, Blu-Ray or HD dvd may be presented in 1080P of which there are very few people who have the capability to watch them. Some of us are using these players to feed scalers which then deinterlace the 1080i to 1080P and then to our 1080P capable displays. Perhaps a year from now you'll start catching up! ;)
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
JimmytheSaint said:
No, I wouldn't say it's a compromise. A large number of people here have high def (720P and 1080i) films on their computers (also HD Divx) as well as WMV titles.
Are these the full 20Gb / 30Gb / 40Gb etc etc films that will be presented on HD-DVD / BluRay, or a compressed version?...PJ
 

gingerone

Well-known Member
I find it very unlikely that Blu-ray and HD-DVD will only use 1080p it would effectively destroy any chance of them having commercial success.(can you actually buy any 1080p displays at the mo?)
It's pretty much a given that 720p will be the standard.

Are you saying that you have a 1080p capable display?
 

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello all

PJTX100 - if you have access to HD content on your PC (or clips on DVD-R) the SnaZio SZ1350 produces pretty amazing results at 1080i.

As Jimmythesaint says feed the 1080i signal (Analogue or Digital) into a Video Processor and optimise the signal for your Display and you'll be wondering what took you so long :)

The SZ1350 also up converts DVD Video (480i and 576i) to 720P or 1080i and is Multi Region - again Analogue (YUV) or Digital (RGB).

For just under £235.00 you get a whole lot of technology for the money.

gingerone - whilst they are few and far between there are a few Displays and Projectors around that are 1080P capable (some with limited Frame Rate compatibility); StooMonster usually jumps in about now to recommend his Apple Cinema Display!!! :)

I think your correct though that 720P seems the much more likely contender.

Best regards

Joe
 

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
ok, someone tell me if im right or wrong here, my Denon 3910 can play WMP10 WMV and WMA files......does that mean either via HDMI or DVI or progressive component it can output a 720p WMV file recorded on a disc from my PC?......
(not too fussed as i can output that straight from puter, currently typing this on my Infocus 7205's screen in 720p...lol...but would be nice to know for archiving sake)
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Knyght_byte said:
....does that mean either via HDMI or DVI or progressive component it can output a 720p WMV file recorded on a disc from my PC?......
...

I was looking at this a while back. You can purchase WMV-HD films too, but surely they are heavily compressed to fit on a normal DVD vs the true HD formats to come which will hold ten times more data?

...PJ
 

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
PJTX100 said:
...

I was looking at this a while back. You can purchase WMV-HD films too, but surely they are heavily compressed to fit on a normal DVD vs the true HD formats to come which will hold ten times more data?

...PJ
so are you saying the 3910 can do this? or that you looked in to it but never tried it?..lol

i'm not too worried about it as you say a DVD wont hold enough information for a full HD film.......hell, a half minute clip was around 80mb i think that i tried on my puter to my PJ.....(with DD surround i think that was, in one language tho).....just curious to see if i could try it..lol

If i wanna try it myself i have to transfer the file to my mums PC, then record it on hers as i only got a CD-RW in my puter...lol
 

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
PJTX100

The 'movies' are stored on hard drive as a *.ts file - typically a whole movie will be anywhere between 20Gb and 40Gb depending on how long the movie is.

With a DVD-R your looking at about four discs for a typical movie - mostly I use DVD-R as a simple way to have lots of HD Movie clips in a 'portable format; until I get my Tera Nas HD hard drive to connect to the SZ1350!

Best regards

Joe
 

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Joe Fernand said:
PJTX100

The 'movies' are stored on hard drive as a *.ts file - typically a whole movie will be anywhere between 20Gb and 40Gb depending on how long the movie is.

With a DVD-R your looking at about four discs for a typical movie - mostly I use DVD-R as a simple way to have lots of HD Movie clips in a 'portable format; until I get my Tera Nas HD hard drive to connect to the SZ1350!

Best regards

Joe
OK interesting insight into how this is handled. TBH the amount of time it would take to download this amount of data makes it a bit impractical for me but I'm certainly looking forward to experiencing HD...PJ
 

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom