Randy Rhoads/Ozzy Osbourne

EricHitchmo

My God what a combo! Rhoads had the most awesome 'brittle' yet full guitar tone, combined with ozzy's melodic riff-laden songs. A match made in heaven. Listened to 'Blizzard of Ozz', 'Tribute' and 'Diary of A Madman' today and the hairs were standing up on the neck. Play loud and often! Ozzy got a bad press back then but his lyrics are so life-enhancing:

'You've got to believe in yourself or no-one will believe in you' et al.

Unfortunately blizzard and diary are only available with redubbed bass and drums due to legals etc. I am lucky to own the mid90s remasters. However, if you want to hear a musician at his peak buy 'Tribute'. It's amazing to think that Rhoads sounds at least as good live as on the studio albums.

for what its worth my top guitar gods:

Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
Johnny Marr
Hendrix
Clapton
Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page
Neil Young
Peter Buck
James Hetfield (for supreme riffage)

signs

Banned
My God what a combo! Rhoads had the most awesome 'brittle' yet full guitar tone, combined with ozzy's melodic riff-laden songs. A match made in heaven. Listened to 'Blizzard of Ozz', 'Tribute' and 'Diary of A Madman' today and the hairs were standing up on the neck. Play loud and often! Ozzy got a bad press back then but his lyrics are so life-enhancing:

'You've got to believe in yourself or no-one will believe in you' et al.

Unfortunately blizzard and diary are only available with redubbed bass and drums due to legals etc. I am lucky to own the mid90s remasters. However, if you want to hear a musician at his peak buy 'Tribute'. It's amazing to think that Rhoads sounds at least as good live as on the studio albums.

for what its worth my top guitar gods:

Van Halen
Randy Rhoads
Johnny Marr
Hendrix
Clapton
Tony Iommi
Jimmy Page
Neil Young
Peter Buck
James Hetfield (for supreme riffage)

Did you know Randy (in name and nature) was shagging :rolleyes: Sharon Osbourne the hole time he was with Ozzy's band
"Ozzy was OK with it ,it was love" (Sharon's words)

strange he died in a plane crash soon after Ozzy found out ::)

chaddy

Banned
and from what i've been told they where in the middle of nowhere and manage to hit an house.

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Randy was a superb inspirational guitarist and how I loved the tribute tab book that complimented the album, must see if I can get another copy of that.

He also seemed a nice guy with little ego. I found some audio clips of him talking at a school / youth club with just his guitar and amp. He was quite happily showing people his techniques and explaining his tricks of the trade, great stuff.

witters

Saw the Blizzard of Oz tour at Bradford St.Georges Hall - approx 1982ish if my memory serves. Top stuff.

Got to add Michael Schenker to that list - pity he was a German nutcase!

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Nuno Bettencourt is another supremely talented guitarist, although his work since extreme has been hit and miss, he's high up the list for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom