Randomly restarting HTPC

Reaction score
Evening All,

I have a random issue which has started occuring as of yesterday afternoon.

Nothing has changed in months with regards to software being updated or anything new being installed.

Yesterday i was watching TV through MediaPortal, the picture hangs for a minute, then mediaportal closes and the HTPC restarts itself, stays on boot screen for a few minutes then loads up the black screen and says boot disk failure, im then forced to manually push the on/off button.

Boots back up as normal as if nothing happened, go back to watching tv and it happens again about an hour later.

Ive checked both my SSD and HDD for errors, and nothing is returned, both are fine according to the checks.

Does anyone have any idea at all what this could possibly be? When i look in event HTPCviewer, i have a few warnings/errors which are a mix of kernel and ati which could be graphics related?

This is when i absolutely hate having a HTPC as my main source of TV viewing, as if theres a problem, its usually a pain in the ass one to fix.

Hmm, I have had similar issues before, I never really knew for sure what the problem was, I suspect it was a faulty PSU that also damaged the motherboard. But eventually I replaced the PSU, motherboard, and CPU and the problem went away.

Hopefully yours is going to be easier to fix :(

I suggest that you start by a process of elimination.

Does it only happen when watching TV in MediaPortal?
What if you are just watching a film in MediaPortal (eliminate the TV card)
What if you are watching a film in another player (eliminate MediaPortal)

Once you have determined that it definitely isn't a software fault, it's a process of elimination with hardware. If you haven't got any spare components to swap out one at a time, it gets very tricky. It could be hard drives, PSU, memory, motherboard.

With that specific error code though, as a total guess, how about trying plugging your OS hard drive into a different SATA port on the motherboard?

EDIT: Just re-read your post, maybe that the SSD is starting to fail also, have you got a spare hard drive that you could clone to and replace the SSD for testing?

Morning Lisa,

I managed to find the fault last night thanks to google, dont kniw where we would all be without google haha.

It was my crucial m4 ssd. Apparently there was a bug where are 5000 hours of usage the ssd would randomly restart every hour. I downloaded the firmware fix they released and it worked a treat. All is now running as it should.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom