Random? Start-Ups on Media PC

theronster

Established Member
Reaction score
My MCE based Media PC has been acting up in a weird way.

I shut it down using S3 standby mode via the remote, and then from time to time I come into the living room in the morning to find the machine running. When I turn on the display to see what its doing, there doesn't appear to be any video output from the machine at all, and to get it back to normal i have to physically turn the power off on the machine and restart it.

This is all a bit of a pain to say the least, as I don't want to have to touch the machine at all ideally and just use the S3 standby.

Also, whenever I bring the machine out of S3 myself I've noticed that the machine seems to lose its network connection. Also a pain.

Any ideas? I've reinstalled MCE and it doesn't seem to make a difference which makes me think its probably hardware related, and in all likelihood a motherboard issue, but even that is reasonably new. I don't want to spend money replacing it as I'm contemplating going the Mac Mini route sometime soon, although the more I look into that solution I think that MCE or some shade of Windows (maybe even Linux, although I couldn't get MythTV to wrok. At all!) based media centre may be my best option at the minute.

So, erm, any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom