• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Random restarts

Scoop007

Hi,

My pc has recently started to randomly restart. It can be any time, but mainly just whilst im web browsing. It's like someone has just pulled the plug, the pc goes dead then restarts. Sometimes it can run for 10hrs+ no problems, others it can happen twice in 20 mins.
I recently added two hdd's in a raid 0 array, and a thermaltake toughpower 750w psu to my system. However i dont think it is because my system needs more power as its not under load when it happens, and my last psu which was 600w seemed fine. I'm still not ruling the psu out though.
Also i have a q6600 overclocked to 3.4ghz, has been stable for over a year now. Temps are hdd 38, cpu 54 under load 28 idle, gpu gtx 260 216 @ 60 under load.
Could it be the ram? If anyone can help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil.

Scoop007

I dont know if it could be software related but this is a clean install a week ago, and i have only installed a couple of programs i have always used

D

Deleted member 293381

Hi

From what you're saying it could be heat related. Some cutout is operating somewhere causing a re-start.

It could also be a mismatch or fault in RAM as Christian says.

Trouble is it could be many things!

Alan

Scoop007

Thanks for the replies, i was sorta hoping it would most likely be the psu so i can just replace it with my old one whilst i send this one back. I'll test the ram. Not sure what program is best to use to do this? Anyways i'm off to search google and try and see if its the ram.

Thanks again,

Phil.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the replies, i was sorta hoping it would most likely be the psu so i can just replace it with my old one whilst i send this one back. I'll test the ram. Not sure what program is best to use to do this? Anyways i'm off to search google and try and see if its the ram.

Thanks again,

Phil.

Google MemTest and look at the first result. This will do some very thorough tests of your RAM and should highlight any problems.

PSU is probably a good shout though, it would be worth swapping for your spare if the MemTest passes OK.

Zebsy

You have my sympathies!
Been having this problem myself on an older P4 machine with an Asus p4c800 motherboard.
Mine also can go 5 secs or 5 hours - nightmare.
Bizarrely mine seems worse if its idle.

I replaced the PSU with a high power EBuyer value one, and it ran fine for a bit, then reboots started happening again.

I have tried just using one of my four memory sticks - no difference, no matter which one I pick.

I am now suspecting either the new PSU is faulty or its the mainboard itself.
The asus support forum had a few threads on this subject.

Good luck, I'd be interested to hear how you solve your problem.

Zebs

limabean

Standard Member
I had this problem twice

First time it was a dodgy power supply (took me over a month to diagnose) as it was a new build just put together

Second time it was RAM, diagnosed using memtest86

reckless

I've also been having similar problems with BSOD errors happening intermittently. I've narrowed it down now to it only occurring when I have two memory sticks installed - either one of the sticks works fine but both together = no no. Memtest ran for over 36 hours showing no errors yet as soon as I actually tried to use other programs to actually do anything, the system crashes.

Fair play to Crucial - I explained the problem to them and they changed the RAM for me as they said it sounded like a RAM issue. However, the new sticks are exactly the same. I suspect a problem with the mobo but I'm not an expert.

chris_f

I tested my RAM when I had this issue, it showed up as perfect.
Problem still occurred.

Now I have switched out my entire MB, processor, RAM and GPU, i'm pretty certain it wasn't my PSU as i'm still using the same one.

Zebsy

LOL Christian - you're basically now using a different computer!! :) :)

I know how you feel, though - I cant seem to bring myself to buy a socket 478 motherboard to see if that fixes my issue - not many around at the moment.

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom