random question on firelighters

Laubi02

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bit of a silly question, anyone know whether firelighters work best on top of the coal or at the bottom?

i only ask this cos logically, i thought it would be the bottom but the past few times, it took ages to star a fire and usually results in me putting loads more coal and fmore firelighters on! :blush:

bit of a silly question, anyone know whether firelighters work best on top of the coal or at the bottom?

i only ask this cos logically, i thought it would be the bottom but the past few times, it took ages to star a fire and usually results in me putting loads more coal and fmore firelighters on! :blush:

Having BBQ issues there Laubi02? :laugh:

I just tend to sprinkle small pieces randomly all over, in-between and under the coal... Seems to do the job :smashin:

When i used a coal BBQ. I would get the liquid fire lighter fluid and the coals. Pour some on the coal in a bag and leave it to soak in. Then i would light it after removing from the bag.

Worked a treat for me

I cover the coals in the firelighter fluid, light, and leave until the coal goes white.

wow! 4 replies! didnt expect that! and certainly didnt expect so many useful and formal tips for the bbq!! :rotfl:

think i may just try using liquid next, dont really want to spend £20 on something that may not be "essential" - kinda takes away the idea of a bbq! cheap and filthy :thumbsup:!

yes uk bladerunner, i was trying to work out where i recognise your name from and think its the movie thread. btw, i too own a megane sport. tho its on its last legs me thinks! :(

I make a small layer of coals, covering about half the BBQ place the firelighters on that, then construct a pyramid of the remaining charcoal on top. Once the pyramid is burning evenly I spread it out over the rest of the grate.

Must admit when I saw the thread I thought, here we go again, another controversial thread about Firemen for me to moderate. Then I re-read the title properly :)

well, discussions on firelighters can be very controvesial i'll have you know!!! :rotfl:

thats what i actually tried oding, maybe not a perfectly shaped pyramid but i put a shallow bedding of coal with a few pieces darted across it. then place another htin layer of coal on top. but i think i cut off the oxygen too much :rolleyes:

well, discussions on firelighters can be very controvesial i'll have you know!!! :rotfl:

thats what i actually tried oding, maybe not a perfectly shaped pyramid but i put a shallow bedding of coal with a few pieces darted across it. then place another htin layer of coal on top. but i think i cut off the oxygen too much :rolleyes:

When you say 'few pieces' do you mean you break 1 firelighter into bits or do you use a few firelighters?

I use the same method as IronGient, thin layer of charcoal at the bottom, 2 or 3 whole firelighters then charcoal on top pyramid fashion. (Firelighters quite central to the pyramid rather than on the edges)

Argh, back in the day when i had a coal fire we used to make a little jenga style stick arrangement with a couple of fire lighters underneath then stick the coal on top of that, light the firelighters and let it take hold, have times changed and technology advanced that much since then and doesn't anyone implement a stick or two anymore? :)

The key is (as Irongiant said) making a pyramid with coal with a couple of bits of firelighter in it. Don't use too much coal though as it will not be able to breathe. Failing that try putting some kindling (soft wood) in with the coal as that tends to catch fire easier... failing that.... bung the whole lot of firelighters in! :)

wow! 4 replies! didnt expect that! and certainly didnt expect so many useful and formal tips for the bbq!! :rotfl:

think i may just try using liquid next, dont really want to spend £20 on something that may not be "essential" - kinda takes away the idea of a bbq! cheap and filthy :thumbsup:!

yes uk bladerunner, i was trying to work out where i recognise your name from and think its the movie thread. btw, i too own a megane sport. tho its on its last legs me thinks! :(

sure, no point spending money if you can manage fine without but it really is a bit of a miracle product, since buying it we have lit the bbq first time every time even this weekend when we had ran out of fire lighters and just used 2 pieces of newspaper it worked fine (though it took longer before all the coals were hot than with firelighters)

completely gone is the hassle, time and stress of lighting the bbq, one of the best £20 we've ever spent, if you consider that your time is money it will pay for itself in a couple of uses.

When you say 'few pieces' do you mean you break 1 firelighter into bits or do you use a few firelighters?

I use the same method as IronGient, thin layer of charcoal at the bottom, 2 or 3 whole firelighters then charcoal on top pyramid fashion. (Firelighters quite central to the pyramid rather than on the edges)

i tend to break mine into large toblerone pieces - maybe i need bigger pieces

i will let everyone know how my next one goes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom