blizeH

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Thought it could be nice to have a thread full of random musings and questions that don't really deserve their own topic :)

Since I've ran out of plugs (again!) behind my TV, I have a couple of quick questions:

1. Generally what is the 'safe' maximum number of plugs to have on a double socket? I have a 6 bar and a 4 bar, but need to replace the 4 with another 6 I think.
2. I have lots of spare spare 4 adapters, and also one of the chunky three adapters (need this so my homeplug works) - is it generally okay to chain these things (within reason!)?

So you've got a six bar in one socket and a four bar in the other and you want to change the four for another six? Can't see a problem with that.

Thanks jb, my girlfriend is absolutely insistent that it's a fire hazard (and it is a mess behind the TV to be fair!) so I was a little worried maybe I'd overload it. Should chaining be okay too? ie a four onto another four, or just one of the block style adapters on a four bar one.

I've chained block adapters to bar adapters (and vice versa) without having any problems. I'm not sure if it's safe though. I vaguely remember posting a thread about this a while ago and the general response was, if my memory serves me, "it's fine, don't worry about it".

Just make sure you don't do this:

mediumdscn7823.jpg

LOL that is quality!

I'm gonna buy a 6 extension now, tenner from Tesco and surge protected - should be okay!

I own this: link (paid £25 summer 2009, shop around)

It kept my things alive when my old toaster tripped the mains

Thanks! Yours does look a lot better, but it's quite expensive... guess it's not worth being too much of a cheapskate considering how much the electricals plugged in are worth! :O

I need anger management to supplement my medication:(

extension leads are irrelevant if correctly fused.

you will only ever pull the maximum rating then and will be perfectly safe! its just not recommended

That.
Find the maximum draw power for every component in the circuit, add it up, divide by 240, and if the answer is <13, you're all good :)

worst case you'll only pop the plug fuse anyway.

I have seen a house which had i think 4 4-way extensions plugged in behind a tv cabinet, while its messy, a trip hazard etc. but technically if all the plugs are not tampered with and have correct fusings you'll be fine. and own't be able to exceed the maximum 13A demand for the socket outlet

So, random musings huh?

I was wondering......

Its a very French thing all this kissing as a greeting and if you don't kiss, then you shake hands. Well you probably all knew that. But at this time of year, most Mayors get the townsfolk together to wish them Happy New Year, give a brief spin on what they have planned for the town or village and offer a glass of wine and nibbles. Lovely.

So you go one of these events and there are several hundred people there, and they greet you with a kiss on both cheeks or a handshake. All the while wishing you "meilleur voeux (best wishes) et Sante, surtout! (above all good health)"

Its really very friendly. Except if one person has the flu or a cold, and they wish everyone good health and then kiss us all or at least shake our hands......

There is no escape. Everyone in the village will by the end of the day have been cross contaminated by all this embracing. "And above all good health". Next year I may take them at their word and stand up on the stage in a surgical mask and announce that for reasons of "above all good health" I ain't kissing no-one or shaking hands either.

I'm off to bed with a couple of paracetamol and a hot water bottle.
Aitichooooooooooo.

So Chinese lanterns... bit of a novelty, and somewhat of an alternative to balloons filled with helium, but...!

Do they travel faster if it's colder ? would the speed of the lantern travelling through the air be inversely proportional to the temperature ? what speed is it realistically possible for a chinese lantern to achieve ?

been bugging me for weeks this !:D

Is it possible to fill your car up with petrol/diesel without having to keep on squeezing the nozzle? I only fill my car up when empty so I can be there for a while in the freezing cold.

I'm sure they have these auto-filling nozzles in other countries, just not the UK.

I think they phased them out in the UK when petrol stations started to become self service.

Is it possible to fill your car up with petrol/diesel without having to keep on squeezing the nozzle? I only fill my car up when empty so I can be there for a while in the freezing cold.

I'm sure they have these auto-filling nozzles in other countries, just not the UK.

They have the auto nozzels in the US, Can be more of a fire hazzard as you can create a small static charge getting in and out of the car which in theory could ignite.

So Chinese lanterns... bit of a novelty, and somewhat of an alternative to balloons filled with helium, but...!

Do they travel faster if it's colder ? would the speed of the lantern travelling through the air be inversely proportional to the temperature ? what speed is it realistically possible for a chinese lantern to achieve ?
Kinda interested by this too - let one off on New Years, it almost came back down but I gave it a quick blow and if flew off quick as hell - it was super cold then too, would be interesting to see if it's any different in the summer because it really did speed off almost a little too quickly for my liking!

Petrol auto nozzle would be awesome, they should bring that back!

I can see the lanterns could potentially rise faster as the pressure differential between the hot light air in the balloon and the colder denser air will be even greater, but I don't know what effect the extra air density of the really cold air would have on air resistance and whether that would have an effect to counteract that of the hot air in the balloon giving extra lift in colder air. If that makes any sense... :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom