Random musings that don't warrant their own thread

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I see what you mean, but I think in this instance it is that they have been reclaimed from a previous garden feature as opposed to freshly quarried.
I think I'll ask them how old they are ;)

Give or take a few hundred million years I'd accept.

Dony

Distinguished Member
Just saw this a moment ago.

And Causing me to ponder, is there such a thing as New/Used when it comes to rocks?
Or even Good/Bad condition rocks?

In our business we refer to rock that has just been, or about top be, mined/quarried as 'virgin rock' so I guess that could also be classed as new rock.
In theory you could also grade rock according to their condition, some rock for example might be heavily fissured and therefore classed as poor quality depending on it's intended usage.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
We are all made of stardust - maybe I should try and collect my pension now :)

IronGiant

"...We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden "

Joni Mitchell

Doug the D

I see what you mean, but I think in this instance it is that they have been reclaimed from a previous garden feature as opposed to freshly quarried.
'Hmm, I see your rocks have been sat on display for a few months. That's a little over the 5 billion year age I was looking at. Knock a fiver off?'

Tempest

Distinguished Member
In our business we refer to rock that has just been, or about top be, mined/quarried as 'virgin rock' so I guess that could also be classed as new rock.
In theory you could also grade rock according to their condition, some rock for example might be heavily fissured and therefore classed as poor quality depending on it's intended usage.
Thanks, I feel educated.
Need to go down the garden and look for some virgins. Sorry, I mean virgin rocks ;)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member

TaurusDevil

I am just watching KKK:The Fight For White Supremacy documentary on BBC I Player. What a load of fudgeing idiots! Don't they realise how stupid they look? Or how backward and dangerous their views are?🤬

TaurusDevil

So, in America the First Amendment guarantees free speech. So people, especially the KKK, can get away with inciting and speaking about blatant racism!🤬 You would get at least seven years for that here in the UK!

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
I am just watching KKK:The Fight For White Supremacy documentary on BBC I Player. What a load of fudgeing idiots! Don't they realise how stupid they look? Or how backward and dangerous their views are?🤬
They don't have any self awareness. Which is probably the underlying reason (or one of many) they're racist.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Not wishing to start a race war...... but ;)

Just remember it's only wrong as we regard them as idiots now is because of our very recent changed mindset and change of views/values.

There is no Right or Wrong, as they are simply things we construct to reflect the currently popular/majority line of thinking.

Us, right here now, buying meat, which promotes the captivity of another life form, which we are happy to have murdered, simply because we 'like the taste' in perhaps 100 years, will make us seem to people alive THEN to look back upon us as barbaric monsters who should be shamed.

But it's fine now, as that the norm for us, today.

davidjohnson

Distinguished Member
Us, right here now, buying meat, which promotes the captivity of another life form, which we are happy to have murdered, simply because we 'like the taste' in perhaps 100 years, will make us seem to people alive THEN to look back upon us as barbaric monsters who should be shamed.

But it's fine now, as that the norm for us, today.
If that is the case, then I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to want to remove a statue of say, Bernard Matthews.

nvingo

If that is the case, then I think it would be perfectly reasonable for them to want to remove a statue of say, Bernard Matthews.
And erect one of say, Linda McCartney?

TaurusDevil

Ultima Thule is 4.1 Billion miles away from Earth!😯🌍