Random loud whine from Denon 2805 when changing Sky+ sources

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Dave Wishart, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Dave Wishart

Dave Wishart
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm after some help here with my Denon 2805 AVR that's been very good to me. I'm getting a random occurrence when changing between TV channels and recorded programs on my Sky+ box. The receiver emits what I can only describe a loud whine from the attached speakers, Kef 5005's with the sound from whatever I was watching cuts out. I have tried disconnecting the source and speaker cables and reattaching but the random event is still happening. My current workaround is to disconnect the kettle lead from AVR for a few minutes and powering back up. Trying to change sources e.g. to my PS3, once the noise starts has no effect. It would appear that the Sky+ box has triggered the AVR to do something that causes it to kill off audio input from the Sky+ source and produces a signal that to the speakers and my ears are a loud whine; adjusting the volume control on the AVR has no effect either. If it's any help the Sky+ uses optical out to connect to the receiver.

Does anyone have any ideas about what do to next besides the obvious replacement ?