1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Lockups Grrrrrrr

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by NikSoftware, Dec 18, 2004.

1. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I put a bit of effort into getting reliable and good components fow a budget when buying my new pc

The main reason i upgraded from a 1.1duron11x100/geforce2mx400/512mb ram@133 is to play hl2, ut2004 and mta-vice city with not lots but enuf fps/hq settings to not have to think about them

As you can imagine i was very dissapointed when i come to play these games and i find out my new pc is afflicted by random lockups during 3d games.

hl2 has only locked once after hrs of play but mta has locked the machine often as has ut2004

my hardware is :(all running at exactly stock with mobo on optimized(not perfromance/aggresive))

MSI K7N2 delta2 ilsr mobo -- bios 6.00PG 08/16/2004
    Barton XP 3200+@11x200 - ddr400 + arctic cooling 3400+ 2800rpm
    BFG Nvidia FX 5700 @465/550 (fastwrites=on,sideband addr=on,8xAGP,128mb aperture)
    2x65gb ibm deskstars 8mb cache on pci SIl0680 raid card ata133 (striped set)
    1gb of 2x512 matched corsair value ddr400 @8-3-3-2.5(by spd)
    dvd-rom drive
    120mm fan intake on 5v at back
    80mm fan intake on side window
    ebuyer value 500w 2xfan(outwards) psu

I expect more than likely its might be voltages dropping during gameplay
    If so i need a voltage logger the record them in the background until a crash
    if any1 knows of any good utils then plz post url in reply

my idle voltages are:
    vcore 1.66~1.70
    3.3v 3.18~3.20
    5v 5.13~5.18
    12v 12.12~12.20
    - - -
    RAM 2.7v (setting not reading)
    AGP 1.5v (setting not reading)

I am also suspect of the HSF on the bfg vcard it is held in place with plastic posts straight in to card from a distance.
    The whole heatsink isnt exactly wobbly but is definately not firm by cpu hsf standards. (There is noticeble lateral play)

Any help coments or suggestions would be nice.
    PS:
    Vanilla: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8305598
    GPU oc'd: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8305713

2. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My cpu idles 31~34c
    at 100%cpu for hrs wont go above 44c yet
    return to 35~37 in 20s
    and back to 31~34 in <60s

3. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    First thing I would try is disabling Fast Writes and Side Band Addressing.

Brian

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    i would be tempted to try some different ram

5. Laurel&amp;Hardy

Laurel&amp;Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RAM is matched, I doubt it's that, plus Corsair is some of the best out there. If I was to look at the RAM I'd just check that the correct slots are in use - if you go to MSI's website for this mobo it has a note about using 1Gb RAM, see link below.

http://msicomputer.co.uk/Products.aspx?product_id=703422&cat_id=77

Personally I'd head straight for the PSU because those ebuyer ones are notoriously over rated i.e. 500W has no better current output than a good 350W from Antec or Enermax, but has far worse regulation so voltage drops occur frequently and this will affect system stability.

You may want to update that BIOS as well because I'd be very surprised if your CPU is running at just 44 degrees under full load - I found with my MSI mobo that when I updated the BIOS and used the current version of PC Alert 4, the temperature of my CPU soared to over 60 degrees! I used an external reference for this and found it was within a degree or two, so do this as well, just in case your lockups are temperature related.

Apart from that reset all BIOS and graphics card variables to their defaults and see if the problem goes away. You may find that your system is not hapy with fastwrites for example, as eluded to on an earlier post.

6. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bios version v11.4 date-8/16/04 as reported by msi dmi utilty.
    (highest i can see in the msi site is v7~ @8/5/04)

I have tried turning fast writes off - no effect.
    I have changed the agp aperture - no effect.
    I have turned off 8xagp and left it at 4x and this seems to increase stability but not solve my problem, 3dmark01 can now run with 4xAA(ran several times fine) even gives me 2%more 12300 compared to 8xagp @12009.

I do notice after that the 3.3v line is 3.4v in the bios and 3.18~3.20 in windows. All the other voltages and temps report the same as in windows
    (Is this the graphic load on the 1.5agp line or reporting differences????)

And the HSF feels no hotter than 40c's or so
    (the cpufan monitor correctly reads the 3settings on the fan 1700/2200/2800rpm)(i have left it at the top coz its so quiet anyway)

I am waiting to borrow a nice 350w+ branded psu but until then i would like a decent logging voltage monitor.

It is always and only complete freezes now sometimes accompanied by continuing sound.
    But no response thethe 'Three fingered salute'.

7. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://msicomputer.co.uk/Images/Products/ProductImages/LargeImage/703422_6570_delta.jpg
    No fan on my northbridge:(
    and the blue pictured pci slot(whatever it is) is orange and in the same orientation as a normal pci slot on mine and described as network enhanced for msi cards

**I said sideband addr was on but i truth idnt think my mobo has a setting for it exposed in bios but nvidia drivers report chipset/gpu/optimal for it as on but OS as not supporting it.
    I would like to know how this is so.
    my OS is winxp sp2 quite clean and maintained

*POST reports ram in dual channel mode. the colours make it pretty simple
    can someone very what density the VS1GBKIT400C3 Corsair ram is.(as regards the mention of the lack of 4x dram support for 1gig)
    If any1 know the best or most reliable memory settings they've used with this ram b4 aswell. Any insight would be appreciated.

I miss my stability sooo much.
    SO so SO much...

8. Laurel&amp;Hardy

Laurel&amp;Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try Corsair themselves. They will be the best to tell you and they have a good reputation for helping out.

Did you upload the latest PCalert 4? Remember that it is the processor core temperature you are interested in, not on how hot your cooler feels. If it 'feels' like 40 degrees the chances are it's a good 10-15 degrees hotter where it matters - on the processor die. What is the temperature inside your case? If it's less than 10 degrees difference at full load between ithe case and the processor I suspect you don't have a true figure for your CPU temperature.

But I'd still check out that PSU first. Stability issues can come purely from this, especially with a current hungry processor like an XP3200. That thing at full load is using some 70 watts, which when copuled with everything else running at full tilt equals a lot of amps and usually very quickly. See how this goes first.

9. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    PSU - buy a decent one. I had game lockups due to a naff PSU. I tried a QTEC 400w, QTEC 500w, MACRON 300w and they all locked up on some games but not others. I then got an Antec 550w Trupower and never got an issue again.

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    BTW - why are using a PCI card for the RAID array when the Mobo has RAID on it?

11. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The mobo has 2chains raided for s-ata
    and only 1 chain for ide
    I have two ide drive which can easily top well over 133mbs reading together
    so i figured i might as wel l keep em on separate cables

12. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump: : :eek: :confused:

To clarify the games that have locked are:
    GTA Vice City/MTA Vite City
    UT2004
    Half Life 2
    3dmark01 - if agp8x is turned on and AA is set 2x or more

I dont really have any other 'intensive' 3D games.

Im waiting to install NFSU1 and max payne 2 till it works coz its starting to get to me that all my luvly new hardware is hanging.

13. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    dump that crap psu and buy a proper one. a 'proper' one doesnt mean no 500w monster either. a 350w antec or enermax will run that lot with bags to spare. my 460w x-pro doesnt break a sweat runinng the gear in my sig.

It's about the quality of the psu, not the rating. I also have to add i had a q-tec that gave me random lock-up's and power downs.

also dont forget the obvious - keep all your driivers up to date. Also, set the ram timings in the bios manually, dont use 'set by SPD'.

14. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had the mem at a variety of things already bout 7-3-3-2 seems to be the limit w/o oc'ing the fsb.
    I realised straight after sending off the order that I had neglected to put the care of choice into the psu that I had the other items.
    Foolish me.

Does anyone know the watts comsumed by a BFG FX 5700 OC @465(stock=425) memeory @550 256mb is likely to be?

The breakdown on the PSU i have is:
    3.3v - 28a
    5v - 40a
    12v - 17a
    3.3v+5v - 292w

The cpu is ~70watts at load. What does the ram use is it significant? (or the NB?other part of mobo?)

15. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    thats not what i said. set the timings to their defaults manually, do not use set by spd. and relax those timings aswell. 11,3,3,2.5. if syock doesnt work.

i already told you about the psu's. 5700's are easy cards to drive. your 500w psu will be totally overrated.

16. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I notice you are not running the latest Graphics Drivers -- have you tried the latest versions to see if they help the situation.

If you want to test the cpu / ram / northbrigde etc for heat - download and run the Prime95 util -- does heavy maths calculations and taxes the cpu - its considered as 'the defacto' system stabilty test to run that for 24hrs without errors.

17. NikSoftware

NikSoftware
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I notice you are not running the latest Graphics Drivers "

66.93 are they not the latest?

I have tried the omega drivers to no effect

18. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Like James Miller states - forget the ratings on PSUs for a moment. Just take peoples words on reliability and quality.

Everyone will agree that Antec & Enermax are quality PSUs. 400w will be fine, but you should pay as much as you can afford and if your allowance goes upto £100 then get a 550w model.

19. Laurel&amp;Hardy

Laurel&amp;Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antec Smart Power 350 V's ebuyer 500W (ebuyer in brackets)

Current ratings:

5V - 35A (40A)
    3V3 - 28A (28A)
    12V - 21A (17A)

Power ratings:

5V + 3V3 - 230W (292W)
    12V + 5V + 3V3 - 330W

And that's against Antec's most basic PSU. I know which one I would trust to maintain those ratings under stress.

If you want to buy a cheap one the Superflower ones are pretty well spec'd, but I don't know how reliable they are. However if you can splash out get either Antec or Enermax - they are a cut above the rest.

20. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    sorry - me typing early hours of the morning -- I'd typed aload and deleted it ... then didn't read what I was left with properly ;)