Random Information wanted - Sheeting out a van

WeegyAVLover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been looking on youtube to understand how to do this (purely for knowledge rather than actually needing to do it) however what I want to know is not shown.

I know there are a few traders on here so I am sure this is something they can answer easily.

So how do you sheet out of a van?

For example the floor of a van is metal and I have seen some people put plywood down on this, I have also seen people put insulation and plywood down for people converting a van into a camper. Do you have to glue batons to the metal floor and then screw the plywood floor into the batons?

The same for the walls how to sheet out the walls - I would assume any batons put onto this would need to be fixed mechanically rather than just adhesive if you are going to have shelves or something else that is heavy attached to the walls?

Just curious.

Try boarding rather than sheeting. Looks like fixing is self-drilling screws.

Last edited:
No single answer.
Some are screwed to the inner ribs of the body structure, some are bonded one.
Others make a self supporting structure that slides inside.
Depends really on the long term use and ownership of the vans.

Self tapping screws and a decent impact driver.

I say self tapping- they have to be the type that drills into the metal, not just screws they have a thread all the way to the head.

I've sheeted out 4 or 5 vans now. Always use the kits.

Hi Guys,

I have been looking on youtube to understand how to do this (purely for knowledge rather than actually needing to do it) however what I want to know is not shown.

Say what? Now I get that you may like watching vids like this (I recently watched a builder constructing an underground shelter), but I'd only want to know more information if I was actually to do the task at hand and got stuck.

You want people to give you information on something you watched and have no intention of actually doing? You're loco Ese! :laugh:

Say what? Now I get that you may like watching vids like this (I recently watched a builder constructing an underground shelter), but I'd only want to know more information if I was actually to do the task at hand and got stuck.

You want people to give you information on something you watched and have no intention of actually doing? You're loco Ese! :laugh:

I watched a documentary about brain surgery one night. Any idea what size drill bit they use? :D

On Topic, I know of someone in France who works for a company who make a removeable plastic mould for fitting out vans. I'll try and find the name but it seemed an interesting concept at the time.

What about those clever bags they use for packing, esp when it comes to inside computers?
It's like a silver bag (come in many sizes) and you break something inside the bag, the back then swells up, like internal filler foam, and sets to the exact size.
If you had wood cut, you could use such cheap bags to expand, and make a perfect fitting, custom shape than went between the odd shaped metalwork of the van, all around wheel arches etc, and the wood sheets.
Also deadening noise and acting as a nice insulation all at the same time.
Win win all round.
then just use perhaps some mastic? or such like to adhere it all together.

What about those clever bags they use for packing, esp when it comes to inside computers?
It's like a silver bag (come in many sizes) and you break something inside the bag, the back then swells up, like internal filler foam, and sets to the exact size.
If you had wood cut, you could use such cheap bags to expand, and make a perfect fitting, custom shape than went between the odd shaped metalwork of the van, all around wheel arches etc, and the wood sheets.
Win win all round.

They are called Instapak, we use them to pack some of our delicate items.
They are though not cheap and they need to be used carefully as when you break the seal between the two chemical compounds the bag expands in a few short seconds and gets rather hot.

Win win all round.

Did you stew on that for 2 years and 4 months??

Don't want to rush these ideas you know ;)

Blame AV Forums "Similar Threads" column on the right.......!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom