Standard Member
hello all

just built a new PC running win7
new hdd (sammy spin point)
new mobo Asus M4A77T/USB3 AMD 770
cpu amd quad core
corsair dominator ram
arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro v2.1

case contains 2 fans a 12cm external blow out the back with a 12cm "pull" in the front so airflow should be ok

seem to be getting random freezes - will try a burn in but suspect something not quite right in the set up

any suggestions?

GlynD

I would run a RAM test and leave it running for a good few hours to see if it picks up any problems.

Dingo

Did you keep the "old" (branded?) psu and if so did you check it was up to the job of running your new components??

will65mcmanus

IT COULD BE STILL OVERHEATING LOL show what you know, suppose you do a speed test for your broad band and take it as gospel :laugh:

as said already

run memtest
check psu
check core temps. you can check these inside windows with this program Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
be sure everything is seated properly

NDULI

Standard Member
thanks for the replies - been offline for a few days. i was on the PC last night and it froze twice in quick succession making me think it is RAM - its in the blue slots - will check its seated ok and try moving to other slots and running the RAM test

the PSU should be ok as it is a branded 400+ watt unit (can't recall the exact details)

thanks for the support - has been doing my fruit in - have never built a PC where i have had issues - normally very stable.

NDULI

Standard Member
as said already

run memtest
check psu
check core temps. you can check these inside windows with this program Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring
be sure everything is seated properly
-reeve1987 are there any recommended memtest tools? do i go M$ or go more memtest86 (quick google search)

am in work at the moment so can't spend the normal amount of time i would spend researching this.

i strongly suspect the RAM is duff

NDULI

Standard Member
-reeve1987 are there any recommended memtest tools? do i go M$ or go more memtest86 (quick google search)

am in work at the moment so can't spend the normal amount of time i would spend researching this.

i strongly suspect the RAM is duff
so memory passed on memtest86+ - will check mem timings etc and see if that does anything as well as looking at fans and checking the psu

sorry didnt know you posted already.

memtest86 can be a little....inaccurate sometimes, its generally best to test the ram, then shuffle the dimms around into different slots (if running 2 dimms just swap them over) then run the test again and do that twice. alot of messing around but will ensure the most accurate tests.

post up your idle cpu temps and load temps (you can use 3dmark to get your hardware going a little more intensly or run a heavy game or something)

oh erm....do you have anything like dual gpu's? extra add on cards that arent needed to keep the system running?

reason i ask is if you remove the second gpu and a couple of non essential cards (extra usb pci cards, tv tuners, pci sound card, that sorta stuff) then see if it persists. if your psu is having trouble powering all of the components it could lead to a freeze.

another way to test your ram is to remove all dimms except the first one and run the system using one, then add another after a bit if no freezing occures, then the next and so on until it freezes, the test the last one you added on its own and then all dimm except the one you tested on its own and had a freeze. (remember to power down the comp and anti static yourself before messing with ram dimms)

NDULI

Standard Member
ok will try swapping dimms about and the single dimm idea as well before moving onto the usb stuff - again good idea thanks.

the psu ran an athlon dual core and the same gcard previosuly so "only" added 2 more cores and some hotter ram so i am convinced its not the PSU he says touching the nearest tree based object :)

did notice during the mem test that the RAM wasn't running at the 1600 and timings its supposed to so may look at that also

note - no freezes so far tonight.....

NDULI

Standard Member
oh erm....do you have anything like dual gpu's? extra add on cards that arent needed to keep the system running?

reason i ask is if you remove the second gpu and a couple of non essential cards (extra usb pci cards, tv tuners, pci sound card, that sorta stuff) then see if it persists. if your psu is having trouble powering all of the components it could lead to a freeze.

another way to test your ram is to remove all dimms except the first one and run the system using one, then add another after a bit if no freezing occures, then the next and so on until it freezes, the test the last one you added on its own and then all dimm except the one you tested on its own and had a freeze. (remember to power down the comp and anti static yourself before messing with ram dimms)
tried changing the frequency of the mem last night and the timings before i went to bed and interestingly immediately got freezes (correct beep test but couldn't infact get into windows)

will try moving the slots but any ideas why if the mem is speccd to run at 1600 with 1.80v and timings of 9-9-9-24-2t it bombs? can the CPU be in any way to blame?

not sure i know running dimms with a higher voltage an 1.65 can damage the ram or cpu or mobo. intels info that.

sounds like your ram is okay, have you tried releiving some power off the psu?

NDULI

Standard Member
not sure i know running dimms with a higher voltage an 1.65 can damage the ram or cpu or mobo. intels info that.

sounds like your ram is okay, have you tried releiving some power off the psu?
mem tested ok in 4 different configurations. have dropped off the USB hub for a couple of days to see if that makes a difference in psu draw, may drop a hdd out as well.

any recommendations on website to read up on mem timings etc? can you set the clock speed you want them to run at and leave voltage and timings etc to auto so it tries to figure it all out its self? I'd try it all again tonight but losing the battle with the sandman so need to get some kip

NDULI

Standard Member
i have a sneaky suspicion that having run the rule over the memory, unplugged and plugged all the hardware back in that its actually the damned mouse and the lack of W7 64bit driver. noticed by complete chance at about 1am this morning that everytime i "wheeled" up the PC froze a reversion to a M$ mouse i had lying about and so far no crashes - and of course my old logitech gaming mouse doesn't have 64bit drivers for it grrrrrrrr

off to scan i go for a new gaming mouse.....

even if it doesn't prove to be the case thanks for all the help. I have learnt alot over the last week even if it is just to remain calm and don't wear heavy boots when looking to kick PCs in frustration ;-)

Trending threads

Latest news

Samsung and LG squabble over QLED definition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
2019 Emmy wins for Sky TV shows
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
BritBox adds Channel 5 and Comedy Central to roster
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd Sept - Spears and Munsil