Random event, Panasonic OLED going into standby/restart

Johndm

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My Panasonic OLED has recently randomly going into standby followed by an immediate restart.
I have all my equipment connected through a Pioneer Receiver.
When this happens, my Apple TV 4K springs into life for no reason, white led starts flashing and it powers up

CEC on Apple TV is off, any idea’s why this has started for no obvious reason?

I would probably start with the basics - turn the TV, AVR and all your sources off at the wall (or unplug) and leave them for a while. If this doesn't help, disconnect all external sources connected via HDMI, ensure that the TV is on the latest firmware, do a factory reset and then watch the internal tuner or inbuilt apps for a while.

If the problem still occurs, then you'll know that the problem lies with the TV and you can rule out your external sources and AVR as the cause.

If it doesn't reoccur then re-introduce external sources one at a time to find the cause, starting with the AVR (but with nothing connected).

This process may obviously take a while (days to weeks depending on how frequently your problem occurs) but it might be the best way to get to the bottom of it.

Been happening every evening!
All software up to date, crc all off, rebooted everything several times (TV, Receiver, SkyQ, AppleTV, Fire Cube, Zidoo streamer,.
Might be coincidental, but it's happened every time I pick up ipad and open my Broadlink app (got a Broadlink IR blaster to control TV. Sky etc). and I recenlty added a couple of smart plugs to power everything off overnight, but the plugs are on a different app.
I think is seems to be a power interruption as receiver clicks while TV restarts and Apple TV white LED starts flashing.
Smart plugs removed today, will see what tonight brings :)

If you've got an IR blaster or smart plugs than yes - you could definitely rule those out before you start unplugging all of your devices, or just treat them as devices and re-introduce them step-wise along with your sources after you've disconnected everything.

If it seems to be happening when you use the IR blaster app, then that's presumably the first thing you need to rule out. A possible faulty smart plug would be a likely suspect, too.

Removal of the smart plugs seems to have cured my problem. There I was trying to save the planet by powering everything off overnight too 😂😂
Well at least that was an easy fix ! I've got all my lounge AV equipment (except the PVR) wired to a switched, fused spur and tend to turn that off overnight or when the stuff isn't being used for any length of time.

I always make sure that the OLED maintenance cycle runs first though - make sure you consider that when using any energy-saving measures.

On checking specs, all my equipment uses really low standby power anyway (Panasonic OLED Pioneer receiver SkyQ Apple TV HD Zidoo streamer two XTZ subwoofers and Fire Cube.
Guess some other brands suck a lot more at idle?
Yes, switching electricals off rather than leaving them on standby doesn't save a lot but I guess it's a case of 'every little helps' when electricity bills are rising, plus if everyone else did the same then the energy saved would be significant.

I've also experienced power cuts whether the power for my area flicks off and on (often at night) so I sleep better knowing that my AV stuff is isolated from any problems that could cause !

Yes, switching electricals off rather than leaving them on standby doesn't save a lot but I guess it's a case of 'every little helps' when electricity bills are rising, plus if everyone else did the same then the energy saved would be significant.

I've also experienced power cuts whether the power for my area flicks off and on (often at night) so I sleep better knowing that my AV stuff is isolated from any problems that could cause !
I seem to have had some IP address conflicts as well with all my smart switches, bulbs and plugs since turning stuff off. Well at least I tried to be a bit greener, but with everything on standby all my equipment is working perfectly again

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom