Random DIY questions that don't warrant their own thread.

Mmmh this is looking like a bigger job than I'd hoped.

Has anyone ever used an endoscope and if so are they any good? I'd like to look in the space above the kitchen ceiling but I don't really want to have to lift carpets and floorboards. The ceiling has GU10 lights so it will be easy enough to take one out to gain access.

This house I just bought has some weirdnesses, e.g. it seems the cooker extractor and the downstairs bathroom extractor might actually merge somewhere as I only see one vent on the outside.

Get one with an led light at the end,

I've only ever used industrial ones for looking through pipes when i'm not convinced they have gone in the ground correctly, so can't comment on the cheap and cheerful ones

Someone told me that these aren’t legal to use any more. Is this correct? I’m seeing a few being sold on Amazon, so I don’t know.

3AB53F6C-3655-4222-80BD-8AF9CC535BA1.jpeg

Amazon really shouldn't be your point of reference as they have no interest in policing their shop so plenty of illegal and unsafe stuff is available there.

But checking more reputable shops like Argos and Homebase shows they're still on sale so they're definitely not illegal.

Someone told me that these aren’t legal to use any more. Is this correct? I’m seeing a few being sold on Amazon, so I don’t know.

View attachment 1343780

Yes they are legal. Its no different to an extension cable. I wouldn't use one as a permanent solution (I'd extend the ring) but as long as you're not plugging in 4 kettles pulling high amps you'll be fine.

This is just for the washing machine and tumble dryer - they’re never on at the same time.

This is just for the washing machine and tumble dryer - they’re never on at the same time.

I would get your single socket replaced with a twin socket. Better than that, have your kitchen fixed wiring inspected by an electrician, and advised on.

Probably a job for another day. The socket is already a double, the other socket serving the fridge.

Nice. I’ll add that to the list for next time we get the sparky round.

Now I’m trying to work out how to get two waste water pipes into a 30mm stand pipe. This wasn’t an issue when I had a vented tumble dryer, but now I’m moving to a heat pump dryer, it would be handy to use the drain pipe. I’ve seen an adapter that works wit a 40mm stand pipe, but nothing for 30mm. It’s now that I recall the guy installing the washing machine complaining about the non-standard stand pipe.

We have a heat pump dryer, i use the water from it for watering the plants, rather than down the drain.

Spent many an hour today oiling my shed. It’s bloody big shed too. Then I read it needs a second coat. Dammit.

I'm looking for a brushed chrome version of this... What is it? An unfused isolator switch? Could I use a single light socket?

IMG_20200826_185323.jpg

So wall light fitting has been hanging off at an angle for well a few years and had a shot trying to fix it this morning. However it seems the plaster behind is shot and the rawl plugs were hanging by a thread. I need to some how fill it and then re drill the plugs. Any tips on what filler to use that I can buy or another solution?
So used the no more nails route and all fixed. Thanks for solution.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_235253.jpg
    IMG_20200905_235253.jpg
    431.1 KB · Views: 61
You can get something like this;

Amazon product ASIN B07DWTB5KW
Amazon product ASIN B08BLQ44L2

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom