Random DIY questions that don't warrant their own thread.

sneakyweeone

Mmmh this is looking like a bigger job than I'd hoped.

timbo46

Fill the hole by injecting No More Nails or similar, before it sets push in the rawlplugs in the correct position, leave overnight to set, screw the lights back, job done:thumbsup:

skyline32

Has anyone ever used an endoscope and if so are they any good? I'd like to look in the space above the kitchen ceiling but I don't really want to have to lift carpets and floorboards. The ceiling has GU10 lights so it will be easy enough to take one out to gain access.

This house I just bought has some weirdnesses, e.g. it seems the cooker extractor and the downstairs bathroom extractor might actually merge somewhere as I only see one vent on the outside.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
Get one with an led light at the end,

I've only ever used industrial ones for looking through pipes when i'm not convinced they have gone in the ground correctly, so can't comment on the cheap and cheerful ones

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Someone told me that these aren’t legal to use any more. Is this correct? I’m seeing a few being sold on Amazon, so I don’t know.

3AB53F6C-3655-4222-80BD-8AF9CC535BA1.jpeg

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Amazon really shouldn't be your point of reference as they have no interest in policing their shop so plenty of illegal and unsafe stuff is available there.

But checking more reputable shops like Argos and Homebase shows they're still on sale so they're definitely not illegal.

Russa

Someone told me that these aren’t legal to use any more. Is this correct? I’m seeing a few being sold on Amazon, so I don’t know.

View attachment 1343780
Yes they are legal. Its no different to an extension cable. I wouldn't use one as a permanent solution (I'd extend the ring) but as long as you're not plugging in 4 kettles pulling high amps you'll be fine.

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
This is just for the washing machine and tumble dryer - they’re never on at the same time.

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Probably a job for another day. The socket is already a double, the other socket serving the fridge.

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Nice. I’ll add that to the list for next time we get the sparky round.

Now I’m trying to work out how to get two waste water pipes into a 30mm stand pipe. This wasn’t an issue when I had a vented tumble dryer, but now I’m moving to a heat pump dryer, it would be handy to use the drain pipe. I’ve seen an adapter that works wit a 40mm stand pipe, but nothing for 30mm. It’s now that I recall the guy installing the washing machine complaining about the non-standard stand pipe.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Spent many an hour today oiling my shed. It’s bloody big shed too. Then I read it needs a second coat. Dammit.