1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Crackle on AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by RumNYC, Jun 1, 2005.

1. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I just got the AVR300 and the sound is amazing. The only problem is when I have it hooked up to a Scientific Atlanta 8000 HD DVR box, there is sometimes a random high pitched crackle. This crackle is more likely to happen if I am forwarding through a saved show. The thing is everytime it happens, The mode switches to DD Logic IIx for half a second and then switches back to DD 5.1. I have firmware revision 3.08/ DSP 1.12. I have tried both coaxial digital and toslink. I also have an Airport Express hooked up via optical and a PS2 hooked up via optical, and never have any problem with those. Is there any way to disable DD Logic IIx? I only have a a pair of fronts hooked up so I have no need for it, but I do need digital audio support. Will it be better to completely forgo digital and hook up via analog? I also use HQ video (component) switching, but that probably makes no difference. Will upgrading to the lastes firmware have any impact?

2. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am not sure why but scientific atlanta refuse to fix thier audio/video problems on thier units.

Scientific atlanta has a audio bug where when u flip channel or rewing forward channels. IT resents the digital headers of the audio and goes to pcm w noise and comes back to DD quickly.

If you only want pcm/stereo out... go to setup and change the audio output from DD to other/bitstream, that should fix your problem.

In my case no matter what the source encoding is scientific atlanta forces a DD header on it and hence causing other problems.

Try the audio output set to other instead of DD.

3. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I called time warner nyc, and had them replace my box with a newer Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box (previously i had the 8000HD). They seem to have fixed all the audio issues there.

4. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ahhh I will give them a ring for mine i dont have the pvr just the basic one maybe it will be fixed for me too though last time i checked there was no newer model available.

5. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    After using avr300 for a while i am nothing but happy but a wee bit of a peeve again is the static sound whenever it changes mode i.e pcm -> dd or dts....

First i thought it was only with the scientific atlanta box but it turns out also on my htpc... when i am listening to music... pcm... and if i switch to a dd/dts source i hear a static b4 it switches mode and it loud depending on the volume... well actually proportionate to the volume...

anyone else try it ? any fixes? helps? future firmware fix? or its something flawed from the source point?

6. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Only I left with this problem?

7. Bails

Bails

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have it too, and I must say I find it pretty aggravating. It would be good to know if it was something that could be fixed through a firmware upgrade. Arcam?

8. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    No crackle on my AVR300 when I change modes...

John

9. Beatles

Beatles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally silent here.

10. hedrick@rutgers

hedrick@rutgers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have it with a 250. I haven't figured out exactly when it happens. It seems to be associated with changes between PCM and DD or analog and digital. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does it's a loud snap. I don't consider it a serious problem, but I wouldn't mind a fix. Despite this, I'm *really* happy with the 250.

11. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    NOT changing modes... the source changing formats.

12. MikeEvo

MikeEvo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This problem has existed on every Arcam receiver since the AVR100, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a solution from Arcam.

It seems to occur only when using an HTPC or similar devices rather than a standard DVD player.

13. radio

radio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Figured as much as a few local suppliers complaint on the same issues and ensured it was not a flaw that existing in my unit but ALL units.

i guess will have to live with it until next upgrade will consider this as a flaw in deciding the next purchase.