Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) Blu-Ray from Network in 2017 - Prebuy open now.

Has this final complete box set landed yet? ...

All 6 volumes of Randall are available from Network at £10 each with a free case if you buy all 6. The exact same content is listed for general release in October on the same day as the Dept S boxset. No price as yet and no extras

Why would anyone pre-order this?
If you want it, just buy the 6 volumes from Network now and you get the box for free.
Network claim the complete boxset will be the exact same discs so no extras.

I love this show but at £60 it's A bit expensive as a replacement for my DVD set especially as I have loads of tv blus still to watch. I'll stick with the DVDs for now.

Bri

Unfortunately it might be the lack of support for these releases that ensure we don't get any further ITC shows on Bluray.
The dvd's (specially the UK Network ones) really are quite dreadful in comparison. The Oz ones are a bit better but they were all taken from old masters so with most of the Bluray episodes coming off the original negatives it really is a huge increase in quality.
I don't think Network have helped themselves though by not porting over the extras

I expected The Champions before either Randall or Dept S although I'm glad Randall came first. I had hoped The Champions would have been announced already but I'm guessing we will have to wait until the beginning of next year for more ITC.
Apparently another monthly offering is on the way with Space Patrol but I don't know how accurate that story is. The first SP Bluray apparently included the 2 remaining episodes on 35mm so unless they've found the rest I suspect the story might be false

I expected The Champions before either Randall or Dept S although I'm glad Randall came first. I had hoped The Champions would have been announced already but I'm guessing we will have to wait until the beginning of next year for more ITC.
Apparently another monthly offering is on the way with Space Patrol but I don't know how accurate that story is. The first SP Bluray apparently included the 2 remaining episodes on 35mm so unless they've found the rest I suspect the story might be false

I'd be interested in Space Patrol. Do you mean that there's only 2 episodes on 35 mm and the rest are in other formats? There are defiantly more than 2 episodes in existence.

Bri

All episodes exist but apart from 2 on 35mm the rest are 16mm which is where the previous dvd's were sourced from. Can't say I would buy Space Patrol on Bluray and definitely not on a volume by volume basis

All episodes exist but apart from 2 on 35mm the rest are 16mm which is where the previous dvd's were sourced from. Can't say I would buy Space Patrol on Bluray and definitely not on a volume by volume basis

I have very fond memories of this and I have a couple of the DVDs. Dr Who's Spearhead From Space was on 16mm and they upscaled that for the blu.

Bri

Whether 16mm looks good on Bluray is dependent on the quality of the source.
The Professionals looks excellent as they found the negatives. Super 16 shows like Sherlock Holmes betray their origins. The Sweeney doesn't look as good as The Professionals. Terrahawks is no great shakes.

For years thought to be lost the majority of episodes from Space Patrol were found as 16mm prints wasting away in Roberta Leighs garage. I'm very doubtful they could be used as a source for Bluray

They did put out a single episode of Fireball XL5 so a two episode Space Patrol release is not entirely impossible.

Bri

There was already a 2 episode Bluray of Space Patrol. It was the only 2 on 35mm - I mentioned it earlier.
But there seems to be hints of a more substantial release although it might hopefully be something else like Captain Scarlet. The image they've used looks like it comes from Space Patrol but it might not be that actual series

There was already a 2 episode Bluray of Space Patrol. It was the only 2 on 35mm - I mentioned it earlier.
But there seems to be hints of a more substantial release although it might hopefully be something else like Captain Scarlet. The image they've used looks like it comes from Space Patrol but it might not be that actual series

Ah I think I remember seeing that. I'd completely forgotten.

Bri

There very little I remeber from the series apart from the main puppets, the robots, galasphere and the gabaladictum bird, and then trying to teach it to speak and it repeating something wrong like gruf,asnuffel, oh and Husky the martian always wanting to have sausages. Plus hover bikes like in Fireball XL5
But I did for some reason found it creepy, Glad I'm was not alone on that view.

Quote: (the only two episodes to have survived in their original 35 mm format) are downright creepy, resembling nothing so much as a futuristic puppet version of "Eraserhead"

There very little I remeber from the series apart from the main puppets, the robots, galasphere and the gabaladictum bird, and then trying to teach it to speak and it repeating something wrong like gruf,asnuffel, oh and Husky the martian always wanting to have sausages. Plus hover bikes like in Fireball XL5
But I did for some reason found it creepy, Glad I'm was not alone on that view.

Quote: (the only two episodes to have survived in their original 35 mm format) are downright creepy, resembling nothing so much as a futuristic puppet version of "Eraserhead"

I remember it as an excellent show at the time and it stands up remarkably well today.

Bri

Just thought I let everyone know Randall and Hopkirk(Deceased) is on True Entertainment weekdays 8pm
Freeview Channel 61
Freesat Channel 142
Sky Channel 182

Managed to snag this wonderful series on BD from Amazon when it went on sale for £25. An absolute bargain at that price even without extras or even subtitles.

I watched the first two episodes last night and was really impressed with the picture quality; it looks extremely good considering the age of the series. Audio was also great and I had no problems hearing it at normal volume levels despite my moderate hearing loss and a lack of aforementioned subtitles on the disc.

Overall I'm impressed but I do wish companies like Network were more considerate toward people with hearing loss. I am fine, thankfully, but there are people out there with major or total hearing loss that might want to watch this. There's really no excuse for not including subtitles on BD these days (I remember having to import the Australian releases of Spartacus on BD for the subtitles because the later UK releases lacked both those and the extras; a clear sign that it was rushed out IMO).

Did any of the DVD releases of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) have subtitles by the way?

Managed to snag this wonderful series on BD from Amazon when it went on sale for £25. An absolute bargain at that price even without extras or even subtitles.

I watched the first two episodes last night and was really impressed with the picture quality; it looks extremely good considering the age of the series. Audio was also great and I had no problems hearing it at normal volume levels despite my moderate hearing loss and a lack of aforementioned subtitles on the disc.

Overall I'm impressed but I do wish companies like Network were more considerate toward people with hearing loss. I am fine, thankfully, but there are people out there with major or total hearing loss that might want to watch this. There's really no excuse for not including subtitles on BD these days (I remember having to import the Australian releases of Spartacus on BD for the subtitles because the later UK releases lacked both those and the extras; a clear sign that it was rushed out IMO).

Did any of the DVD releases of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) have subtitles by the way?
The only reason Network usually don't include subtitles is because it costs too much to create them.
BBC titles apparently all have to include subs but I expect they are supplied by the BBC and Network don't have to fund their creation.

ITV themselves have no interest at all in restoring their ITC shows to HD and it's all left to Network so unless there are subtitle tracks already available I don't see Network adding subs to any ITV/ITC material

According to Networks own site even their dvd release had no subtitles so you need to go back over 15 years to the original ITV discs for subs

Well I got it for Christmas and I've watched the first two episodes. As expected the sound was poor on the first. I haven't watched the DVD for sometime now but I think it was probably a bit better than I recall. After all the positive comments on the picture quality I was disappointed. I didn't think it was as good as the Department S release and there seemed to be quite a bit of judder in some shots. Am I the only one to see this?

Bri

Well I got it for Christmas and I've watched the first two episodes. As expected the sound was poor on the first. I haven't watched the DVD for sometime now but I think it was probably a bit better than I recall. After all the positive comments on the picture quality I was disappointed. I didn't think it was as good as the Department S release and there seemed to be quite a bit of judder in some shots. Am I the only one to see this?

Bri

Well done for holding off for so long, Brian!

I think the trouble is that people very rarely say what their TV and players are when describing something as having "outstanding picture quality".

I know you went 4K this year, but I can't recall what TV or UHD player you bought? Are you sure you've set them up correctly?

And I'm sure there's a technical reason for this, but I have a 65" OLED, a UHD player and a Blu-Ray recorder. I sometimes put a Blu-Ray in the Blu-Ray recorder and a DVD in the UHD player of the same film to compare the differences? (and to justify to myself the HD upgrade!) And the Blu-Ray recorder nearly always plays discs with more brightness than the UHD player, even though I use the same picture settings across both inputs and the same HDMI cable.

Anyway, I can't be bothered to investigate why. All I know is that not all Blu-Rays are the same and some definitely look better than others.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom